Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ballistic coefficient

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Bronze Member

ballistic coefficient

How much emphasis do you place on ballistic coefficient. I was reading the .338 matchking has a BC of .768. Other bullets I am looking at have BC ranging from .550 to .575. How much of a difference will these BC affect long range capabilities? Will it be too small to notice?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ballistic coefficient

Depends on many things including what your definition of LR shooting is.

Quick answer- For most big game cartridges it won't make much difference out to 5-600 yards. Beyond that, you better start to look more closely at what the BC will do.

I am judging by your post count and the question that you may not have much experience with LR shooting and ballistics in general. I would highly encourage you to get real familiar with the LR calculator on this site.

Long Range Hunting Ballistics Calculator

It is a great tool to learn on, easy to use and you can compare various bullets or cartridges side by side to see the differences. A very useful learning tool.

HTH,

Scot E.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Bronze Member

you are correct, I am new. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

No problem. Welcome to the forum and just dive in and start learning. There is a ton of info here!

To make your searching for specific info easier don't forget about the Google search function at the top right of the page. It is a much better and more accurate way to search this site than the internal search function.

Scot E.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

The best thing to do is plug in different bullets at the velocity and range you plan on shooting them. Then make a decision. Any bullet with a .55+ bc works well to 800+ yards if the velocity is adequate. I have taken animals to beyond 1000 yards with that bc. I guess what I keep trying to tell you it is the whole package of weight/type rifle, cartridge, and range you intend to do most your shooting. There is no definitive answer to meet all demands. That is why they make and people shoot a bunch of different stuff.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

My opinion is what ever a low BC bullet will do, a high BC bullet will do also but will do it with more energy and to longer distances and will carry that energy with it. This is why I shoot large bullets with high BC's, I am covered at all distances.

Jeff
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Broz, that is usually correct but the problem is with a light rifle 27" barrel he is talking about the 300 grainers will knock the snot out of him. There are also the specialty bullets that have the bc of the 300 grainers but 40+ grains lighter and can be driven 300 fps faster with the same bc. So a guy really needs to look around and make sure his choice is the best for him.