Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ballistic calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ballistic calculator

If my scope is calibrated in IPHY, I'd like to use IPHY. I have no desire to be switching back and forth.

I got back from the range. I shot 5 shells with my load and 180gr AB. Avg. velocity was 3046 fps. I shot 5 rounds with my load and 180gr. BT. Avg velocity was 3071 fps.

Both bullets group well from my Sako 85, 300 Win mag.

I tried checking my scope the way 7mmRHB described, but I don't have a gun vice. I had my front supported with my bipod and the rear supported with my rear bag. I just couldn't keep it steady enough. I could line up the crosshairs on the zero line I drew on the paper, then twist the elevation knob a full turn (12MOA or 12 inches, I'm not sure) then turn it back to where I started. It seemed to come right back where it started on the zero mark.

Does anybody know much about the Leupold LPS and how they are calibrated?

Thanks again, Eric
Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Even if you learn how Leupold designed and specified the turret calibration on your LPS, you still need too field proof them as 7mmRHB described, because there is no guarantee that the turrets will perform as intended by design.

7mmRHB emphasized that he and goodgrouper commonly ID'd scope turrets that did not adjust to the factory specifications. If you don't run this test, you'll just be adding further uncertainty to your troubleshooting process.

It all takes time, but you can do it right once, or possibly be doing it wrong multiple times and never get to the bottom of it.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

ill tell you what has worked for us old fools here in pa. for decades.
have a guy sitting behind you with very good tripod mounted binnoculars.
he will say something like you went right over his back. take 5 off and shoot again right now.
no computers, no weather stations, just a rangefinder, a click chart, and a spotter.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Does anybody know much about the Leupold LPS and how they are calibrated?

Thanks again, Eric

I found a 2006 Leupold catalog using Google and it states 1/4 moa clicks for the LPS. Here's the link:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2561824/-L...Optics-Catalog

Provided your scope is manufactured and behaving exactly to this design specification, one click of your elevation adjustment should move your POI 0.262" at 100 yds.

How to know for sure? As 7mmRHB described. It's not terribly difficult, but as you found out, it does require a means of holding the rifle stationary while you crank the turret up and down and measure the movement on the 100 yd target. Make sure you know the exact range to your 100 yd target. I ranged mine with my Swaro LRF and found out it was actually 104 yds. That works too. Just requires a slight modification to the mathematical solution for inches/click/100yds. After I ran through this field-proofing procedure the first time, it wasn't long before I'd performed the process on each of my long-range use scopes.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Eric2381,

Try this table for the 3050 ft/sec at other ranges and see how it
works for you.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

Eric, We have set up three guns in the past that had an LPS 3.5 -14 scopes and they all three moved in inches and not true MOA. Sounds like your problem is in the ballistic program which should be set to IPHY ( Inches per hundred yards )!!! This is the kind of problem that is easily fixed compared to the other issues you're worried about.

Leupold marks the turret in 1/4 min. per click but is meaning ( Shooters MOA )which is 1/4 inch per click. Many other scope manufactors have done the same. It's no big deal, just use the correct setting on the Ballistic program and you will be dailing to the right numbers to hit whatever your shooting at !!! ----- RHB
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

This one can get tricky fast---first make sure the chronograph is accurate which can be a challenge by itself, make sure your distance to the first screen is perfect and that your calculations take that into account.

Temps, elevation and humidity play a part in this as well but the bottom line is that you can check the ranges for actual drop I have done 100 300 and 800 and with those data points verified my BC. You can go in and adjust the values in the formulas provided by the bullet makers but you need to make sure that all of your other conditions are PERFECT.