Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ballistic Application Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Ballistic Application Question

This might get long so bear with me.

Let's say I am out shooting at my favorite spot at sea level. It is 90* and I set my zero at 100yrds, punch temp, humid, bc, mv, baro pressure. I validate all my drops out to 1000yards and all is good.

The next day I decide to run up to 10,000 feet were the migration has just started. I punch in the new baro, temp, humidity, all the good stuff.

Will My drops be close enough to keep it in the kill zone to 1000 yards, short of re-zeroing and re-validating???

I have not had a chance to verify this myself, which is what I usually like to do, but in my mind it can't be even though I have been told it will be.

At both locations the program "assumes" you zeroed the gun at 100 yards (which I didn't) and I doubt the zero can be the same given the different conditions/elevations.

So has anyone verified how much the difference is??? Is it negligible??
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ballistic Application Question

Most likely your shots will be good to 4-600 yards ish. Your point of impact may alter horizontally however. The atmospheric pressure at 10,000 feet is around 3/4 that of sea level. Not to mention the relative humidity would be virtually 0 at 10,000. So there are tons of factors that would alter your shot. I would never just go out and shoot when I make a huge atmospheric jump. Most likely your shots will change drastically at 1000 yards.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Those are extreme conditions, but all I can tell you is I change altitude from 2500' to 7000' quite often and have nothing to worry about to 1000 yards. That said anytime I travel away from my normal hunting location, when I get to the new hunting location I check zero, adjust if needed (and it usually is not much if any) then send one using my ballistic app to 700 yards. If these are correct I feel confident I will be fine.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

The 10,000 feet was thrown out off of the top of my head, doubt that would actually happen to me.
I was told that with most reasonable altitude changes it would be negligible, even though I am not from Missouri I still like to verify things myself..

It would be nice if the program remembered at what temp, alt, baro etc it was zeroed at, because it is only math from that point on..........

Jeff, thanks for the hard numbers, it looks like at least a 5000 foot change is inconsequential
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
It would be nice if the program remembered at what temp, alt, baro etc it was zeroed at, because it is only math from that point on..........

Jeff, thanks for the hard numbers, it looks like at least a 5000 foot change is inconsequential
For $10 you can down load "Shooter" and it will let you input zero atmospheric data. And a lot lot more.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

I also have the shooter app, nice little app by the way, the only problem will all apps/programs is that when you enter new altitude data it still assumes you have a re-zeroed for those new conditions.
I would think it would be better and not that hard to ask all the parameters of your zero and do the math from there.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I also have the shooter app, nice little app by the way, the only problem will all apps/programs is that when you enter new altitude data it still assumes you have a re-zeroed for those new conditions.
I would think it would be better and not that hard to ask all the parameters of your zero and do the math from there.
Hmmm, not sure about that. Go in under the bullet, hold for edit and you can add the zero data for that load. I assumed that was for the time of zero??

Jeff