Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bad Scouting Signs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

So, I am probably going to get a bunch of **** for this and probably someone will say it is because I live in California, but I enjoy seeing predators when I am out hunting. I have run across a number of mountain lions and a lot of coyotes over my life time of hunting. I have been within 20 feet of a coyote that did not even know I was there. I watched him for 10 minutes while he checked out ground squirrels that he was going down to hunt for the evening while I was deer hunting over the same canyon he was hunting in. I figured the best that could happen is he would possibly kick up a deer that was in the brush down in the canyon. I thought that experience was pretty cool.

I have no issue with people shooting mountain lions or wolves when getting tags for them but I also think that predators play an important role in the eco-system. Most of the time the predator (mountian lions, wolves and coyotes) keep the rodents and other small critters in check and do take the weaker larger animals. Before the white man showed up in North America there were huge herds of animals and lots of predators. It seems to me that we are harder on animal populations than predators are. Predators will self regulate where people tend not to. I hear other hunters in the area complain about seeing mountain lions and blame them for wiping out the deer population. I have always filled my tags even when there is a bunch of mountain lion sightings in the same area I am hunting in.

Lastly, with all the pictures that I enjoy looking at on this sight I am surprised at the major negativity to seeing predators. I do not always think that just because you see predators while out that they need to be dropped and that if you do not take care of that predator it is going to ruin your hunting season. I especially do not think it is worth the possible fines and loosing my hunting rights if you were to get caught. Never know who is watching. Now if we were a bunch of ranchers trying to make a living raising sheep I may see your point that predators are going to destroy your life. Probably all of the other hunters going out and hunting in the same area as you have a bigger detriment to your hunting than the predators do.

Just my 2 cents.

Sherman
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Case and point=they should have transplanted wolves and grizzlies to DC and California I grew up with wolves in upper Mn but the difference was you herd tham but very seldom saw them. Protecting these preditors has allowed them to become much bolder and less respectfull of humans.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Another thing to consider, the mountain lions and coyotes you are seeing while hunting in California are indigineous to the area. The wolves everyone in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and bordering states are seeing are not the ones that were originally in the area. These are northern Canadian timber wolves, they are much larger than the original species and are therefore predators that are much more powerful killers.

In addition, I also believe that indigineous predators (coyotes, mountain lions, bears, etc) need to be controlled as well. Without this population control, predators can either loose there fear of humans and become dangerous or develop a population that is too great for the resources in that area to maintain and either switch to domestic prey or die in more brutal ways than a bullet would do.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

SES50,

I try to be respectful of everyones opinion as they have the right to what ever they want to think. My problem lies in the fact that when others use their opinions to effect my life when those people have no idea what their opinions will do in the long run.

I also do not understand the fasination with people that enjoy watching predators in the wild. Now watching a yote try to dig up a ground squirrel is pretty fun to watch. Watching a grizzly rip up old logs looking for grubs is also fun to watch........

Watching a pack of wolves pull a calf elk out of its mother during birth is NOT FUN TO WATCH. Still, hundreds of out of staters will come to Montana, Wyoming and Idaho with their telephoto lenses for the simply purpose to watch this happen or to watch the wolves harrass the elk herds until a young one or old one falls out of the herd and then is taken by the pack.

You need to watch a wolf pack kill big game. It is not FUN to watch, in fact it is rather sad. It is not fast by any means. Often the big game animal is still alive when the pack begins to feed on it.

Mt lions are very efficent killers. They also do not kill more then they can eat. Once a wolf pack figures it can kill livestock much easier then wild game, it becomes a game. I have seen the results of two wolves wipe out an 30 sheep in one night. Only two of those sheep had anything eaten off them, the rest were just killed for sport.

When that happens you have only one option for those wolve, severe lead poisoning. Even the government knows that and thats why the fed trappers are sent out to take care of the problem.

Now I know all the bleeding hearts out there will say I need to buck up, this is just natures way, that may well be but realize this. Before the wolves were introduced, the game populations in Yellowstone, specifically the elk herds were thriving, actually getting to the troublesome stage with available forage for the herds and beginning to be a real pain in the rear for local ranchers. Why, because humanes were managing the herds and we did so so efficently that their numbers exploded.

Then they introduce the wolves for the "PURPOSE" of herd population control. Only problem is that there is NO control to these wolves, they kill mainly the young of the herds as I mentioned before. WHen you have severe calf predation, it does not take to many years before you get a situation where your elk popuations get very old in age and when they start dieing off, there are no replacement cows for the herds to rebuilt. Populations numbers drop off dramatically.

Also, when the elk herds leave the park trying to escape the pressure of the wolves, the packs simply fallow them out of the park onto private ground where they run into prime beef and sheep farms!!! Not only that, the deer populations increase as well. A whitetail of Muler deer stand little chance if a wolve pack decides that is what they want for dinner.

The famous late season Garder hunt in south Montana on the Yellowstone boarder used to offer over 2000 either sex permits. Last I heard from a friend in the FWP of Montana, they were considering stopping this hunt all together simply because there were not enough elk to support it. I have also heard reports that the yellowstone elk herd is roughly 30% of what it was before the wolves were introduced while the bison population is exploding which was the original purpose for the wolves in the first place.

Again, its out of staters that think they know how to solve our problems for us, mainly west and east coast libbers that have no clue at all how to correctly solve the problem and in fact create larger problems in the process. Still the people that live with the problem every day seem to never be heard on the subjects as long as some out of staters can take pictures of a calf elk being pulled from its mother during birth, I guess all is right in the world as that is how nature should be, BUNK!!!

So how should we have fixed the problem with over population of wildlife, let hunters do it, pure and simple. Not only are we the most effective predator on the planet, we are also the most efficent and more importantly most respective of the game we hunt. We do not kill more then allowed. While many of us hunt for sport, we do not waste the meat from our kills. I know many who have no interest in wild game to eat but they love hunting and as such they donate the meat to less fortunate in the community or to local food banks.

Its hard to recover a week old wolf kill to feed the poor!!! Even though alot of meat is wasted by wolf packs.

So again, I do not want to be disrespectful of your opinion but until you see the real side of a wild predator and its effect on our big game, you really are not educated about the situation.

Until you have seen a calf be pulled from its mother or a yearling calf seperated from the herd and partially eaten alive as it bauls for its herd or see a whitetail fan hammered by two coyotes as its mother desperately trys to fight them off. I have seen this, I have watched this and I have gladly hammered the hell out of those two coyotes that were on that fawn before they could mortally wound the fawn and I would do it every chance I get.

Nature had its way, the dominate predator took over the land and the wolves lost that battle to a much more efficent predator. Why are we taking a step back in big game management practices and giving our precious big game herds to these inefficent killers that waste more game then they are worth.

Natures was will also take care of the overpopulation of wolves as well. When all the big game populations drop so low that there is not enough game to feed them all, the wolf numbers will drop because of starvation. Then as the wolf numbers drop off, the big game numbers will recover and it will be a revolution over time. During which time, most hunting will be stopped because there is not enough game to support any hunting by humans for the sake of giving the wolves our big game.

Again, I am not trying to offend but if you could sit and watch these thing happen and not want to stop it, well, its just hard for me to understand that.

Would I pull the trigger on a wolf if I ran into one in the back country! I will plead the third "S" on that manner!!!

You can feel what you want but the wolf is not the majestic predator you believe he is. That is liberal propaganda that must have worked because now we have wolves running all over hell in our three states.

Sorry for the rant but if you had wolves in California you would feel differnetly, especially when those hard to get big game permits dropped in number but 70% over the last 10 years.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Right on Kirby !!

There's a site -coyotegods and some of the callers over there act like coyotes do no wrong.
I will shoot any coyote i see -period- be it a month old pup playing at the den entrance to a wet bitch b/c i have seen first hand what a coyote is all about...

What would you montana ,wyoming and idaho guys say the number of wild wolves were before the gov't. started planting them ?
They were not extinct !

A friend very believable friend told me about an old rancher nw of boise ,id. happen upon two wolves chasing one of his horses [mare] one wolf was hid initially while one wolf chased .He said he just started trembling as the wolf sprinted after the mare going away from his position ,he ran and got his gun [30-06] and took off that direction.Jumped up a wolf that was laying in ambush for the horse and killed it.Then the chase came back by him and he killed the chasing wolf -2 shots from an old 30-06 =two wolves.
He called a game warden and the warden basically shrugged his shoulders -said good shooting....

Another friend told me a couple of weeks ago that they don't even see elk tracks where they use to all fill their tags every year.But plenty of wolf tracks !
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Case and point=they should have transplanted wolves and grizzlies to DC and California
Problem is all you transplanted here was your corrupt politicians.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

Ok, there is a lot here to respond to so sorry if I do not hit everything.

To start out with in the above post I never said you should never shoot a predator. I wrote:

“I have no issue with people shooting mountain lions or wolves when getting tags for them but I also think that predators play an important role in the eco-system.”

I do not agree with shooting everything you see just because you personal think it is the right thing. There are many biologists out there that are a lot more educated and spend a great deal more time studying these things that are better suited to make that judgment call than you or I about wildlife management. From what I read when doing a fast Google search the wolves were reintroduced to take care of the large elk populations which is exactly what you guys are seeing, not for bison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_reintroduction

I have trouble with the fact that when ever people from outside California talk to people that live in California they automatically assume that we are all from the some big city and are all flaming liberal.

I have been going out hunting with my family since I was 5 years old. My parents owned a sheep ranch while I was growing up and I worked on that ranch everyday before and after school. We had to get predation permits for mountain lion that were take ewes. My father and I shot domesticated dog that have packed up to have a little fun out on the town. They were not killing for even a bit of food but because the animals were running. Then I got to go around and kill all the sheep that were wounded to the point that they were unsalvageable or unrepairable. Plus you could not eat any of it because it was all pumped full of adrenaline and would taste like crap. So, I have seen the gore that domesticated dogs can do, which I can very much correlate to what wolves can do.

In that same period of time we were dealing with poachers on our property. To this day we think the poachers where the guys that owned the dogs in the above paragraph. The poachers would coming in the back of our property and shoot does and fawns. We found 4 does with just the back straps cut out and two fawns with just the hind quarters removed. I also hunted with a set of guys from Colorado one time that I met in college. We were hunting just out side of Grand Junction and I found out at the end of our week hunting trip the way they hunt. They went out on day 2 and shot a buck. They told me that they had missed it. They continued hunting the rest of the week. At the end of the week they told me that they had to go pick this buck up that they had shot earlier in the week. I figured it out later that the plan was that if they saw a bigger buck they would shoot it and not go back for the one that they had killed on day 2.

Fiftydriver,

So, as far as my opinion and observations of wolves compared to humans I totally agree with you when you say that we are a much more efficient killer than any other species on this planet. I personally can kill a lot more of them than they will ever take of us. But from what I read in another thread wolves are not effecting your hunting if you took 6 big game animals last fall.

You say you do not understand the fascination with people that enjoy watching predators in the wild, but in the next sentence you said it is fun to watch some aspects of their life. The fact that before we had guns and bows, humans were pack animals as well and that is how we got our food. Not every animal has learned to be so efficient, but we work together today when we go out hunting with our budies. We like the social asspect of pack hunting ourselves when we get back to camp or longrangehunting.com and start to tell our stories. Everyone has seen animal planet and how nature works. My wife wants to watch shark week on the history channel but then says “aaahhhh” every time a seal gets eaten by a shark. That is why she does not hunt. She does not have the stomach for it.

Most liberals have no clue and have probably never seen the gruesome nature of what really happens when animals hunt. They can not even deal with the fact that chickens have to die so that they can go down and buy their Kentucky Fried Chicken three piece meal deal. This is why they want to take guns away from everyone and stop all hunting. I do not like watching animals get torn apart buy other animals while they are still alive but have come to the realization that until they start using guns they may not have much other choice. It might make hunting a lot more like the middle east though.

In fact the Mountain Lions in our area kill when they get the chance and usually bury it for later. They do not always come back for everything they kill.

I agree with this statement:

“Once a wolf pack figures it can kill livestock much easier then wild game, it becomes a game. I have seen the results of two wolves wipe out an 30 sheep in one night.”

This is the same as I said above about the domesticated dog. But I do think that if this is an issue you get a predation permit go take care of the issue at hand. If you get caught shooting wolves or mountain lions you will not be happy. In California if you get caught shooting a mountain lion it is a $10k fine, they take all your equipment, and you will not be able to hunt for a long while. That surely would not be worth it to me.

You wrote: “Before the wolves were introduced, the game populations in Yellowstone, specifically the elk herds were thriving, actually getting to the troublesome stage with available forage for the herds and beginning to be a real pain in the rear for local ranchers. Why, because humanes were managing the herds and we did so so efficently that their numbers exploded.”

I think you mean that we took care of it inefficiently? Is that correct?

So, ranchers and farmers will never be happy if there are wolves or elk. Maybe we should just kill everything. Ranchers hate wolves, Farmers hate elk. What are we to do? :eek:

Another idea would have been to allow hunters to hunt in the national parks. I am all up for that because I have seen some really nice bucks in Yosemite. But I guarantee that will never happen since firearms are not allowed in national parks and the liberals will never let that get over turned.

I understand the cyclic cycle of predators and prey and most of the other stuff you wrote. My reply is just getting to long. Any way, I think we are in violent agreement except for the two facts:

1) I will not just drop every predator I see, because I do not think that them being around overly effect my hunting. I hunted or have buddies that have hunted in all the states that have had wolves reintroduced and we all get animals every time we go.

2) I enjoy seeing all kinds of animals when I am out hunting that most people will never see in their lives because they never leave the cities and roam into the wild.

I am not trying to say that your way or my way is right or wrong. This is just my opinion.

Thanks for putting out your point of view and I can not wait for your reply.

This is one dumb Californian signing off for the night. Talk to you guys again in the morning.

Sherman
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown