Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bad Luck With Bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Bad Luck With Bergers

I have now shot a 6x6 bull at 600 yards and a 4x4 buck at 300 yards and on both animals i was not happy with how my 210 grain hunting berger bullet preformed. In both cases the bullet peirced through and I ended up shooting multiple times to kill the animals. All shots where placed right behind the front shoulder. I have never had this problem with Accubonds, in fact i have never had to shoot more than once to kill an animal. The exit wound was tiny like there was no expansion. I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I wish i had better luck with these because they sure shoot good.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bad Luck With Bergers

This sure does seem to be a hotly debated topic. Frankly, one that has kept me from trying Bergers. This choice may be out of fear or ignorance... or perhaps a combination of the two. However, I find little lacking with my current choices of hornady, sierra, and nosler. As such I haven't really had a motivation to pay more to try out the Bergers. For every story I read of fantastic results with them, it seems there are as many with dismal results. Too bad there is no real way to know about all the variables for each shot.

I do enjoy options though. I hope that Berger is able to be competative and push innovation for our sport. I know Litz's work has propelled things forward quite a bit. I find it hard not to use his BC numbers!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM

I was very dissapointed and will be switching back to accubonds. I will sacrifice some accuracy for 1 shot kills. I feel like its my responsibility to cleanly take an animal with the first shot or dont shoot, and for me these bullets do not do the job I want. Now on paper/metal targets I have been very impressed with the long range accuracy.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

shoot Eric Stecker with Beger bullets a PM. they'll do everything they can possibly do to correct it for you.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru.../eric-stecker/
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

I'm willing to bet Berger will be wanting to work with you to identify the issue here. It's been my experience that they are always wanting to make their customers happy and believe in their product 100%.

Were you able to recover any of the bullets?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM

Yes on the elk I recovered 3 jackets on the outside of the hide. On the deer nothing.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Caliber? I gather its a 30...but which one?
Muzzle velocity?
Impact velocity?