Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

backpacking and long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have backpack hunted for years and a few years ago got interested in long range hunting. In my opinion they are two different sports with each having its own set of tools. When I backpack hunt the pack is between 22 and 28 lbs depending on the days out and the rifle is around 8 lbs. In the late season the packs weigh a little more because of weather. I have always hand carried my rifles and 8 lbs gets to be a pain in the aÖs after a couple days. We donít set up a spike camp so the pack is on all day and camp wherever we are at at dark..

No way would I pack the 12 lb rifle for 3-4 days on a back pack hunt along with spotting scope and all the other necessary tools required to make accurate long range shots. I canít see doing that with a 40- 50 lb pack especially in the rough country that warrents backpacking. Then if you take a large buck itís a two trip deal or more getting the meat and cape out. The long range stuff happens either from horseback or from a quad. Iím very lucky because where I live and hunt is pretty much out my back door and givin the mood I can do either. The horse does not like packin that heavy rifle either. Got to put a gallon of water in the saddle bag on the off side just to keep the saddle straight.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: backpacking and long range

Every hunting rifle I own has turrets and is good to at least 700 yards. The heaviest is 10 pounds, the lightest 7 1/4 all up. All are factory.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

What is the max range for a light rifle?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Yea I can see that, two different sports is a good answer. I was thinking some people were packing there long range gear in several miles. How far does that average solo long range hunter go then once the quad is parked?

Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

This fall I'll see if I can add some pics of an LR packpack hunt using light gear. Pack in the camp on the back and if successful bring camp and deer out in one trip. That is if I can find something that warrants shooting at.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
What is the max range for a light rifle?
Good question, and I plan to find out. My present out fit is a Sako Finnlight (6 3/8 lbs) that will be topped with a NF NSX (31 oz). I'll be shooting 180 E-Tips out of it and hope to be able to reach 800-900 yds, maybe even a 1000. I think a 700-800 yd shot is very doable with it.

The real answer to the question is how far is the rifle (and shooter)accurate for a dependable game shot and kill and how far can you get bullet performance?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Yea I can see that, two different sports is a good answer. I was thinking some people were packing there long range gear in several miles. How far does that average solo long range hunter go then once the quad is parked?

Thanks for the replies so far!
I guess there are a lot of approaches to this. For backpacking or even long day hikes up into the mountains or across badlands etc., I wouldn't plan on taking a real heavy outfit. I personally would like to get a 7mm Dakota made with a 27" #5 or #6 barrel topped with a NF NXS. A rifle like that would be capable of a 1K shot and weigh maybe 11 lbs including scope. So I think a good backpacking LR rifle would be someting along the line of a 7mm RUM or 300 RUM with a 26-27 inch medium weight barrrel. I probably would opt for good binoculars and no spotting scope.