Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

backpack for horseback hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

backpack for horseback hunt

So I am going to Wyoming (hopefully) this fall on a mule deer hunt. It's a horseback hunt and trying to figure out the best way to pack around my rifle. Gun is about 11 lbs. with a large nightforce scope.

My idea is to buy the eberlestock gunslinger II that has the scabbard on the back pack opposed to strapping my rifle to a horse (if I can even fit in outfitters saddle scabbard).

My question is this possible? I was hoping to be able to cant the angle of the gun in the backpack while riding to fit on one side of the horse or the other and then straighten on our lengthy hikes each day.

Dumb idea or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Brian
Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: backpack for horseback hunt

If it was me I would either buy or have a scabbard made that will fit your rifle. Because trying to carry a rifle on your back while you are on the back of a horse is not only awkward but unsafe for you and the horse. You will be paying more attention to trying to stay balanced than paying attention to the horse under you. You can try it but first I would try swinging a leg over and sit on top of a 6 rail corral fence for a while with your pack loaded like you plan to have it rifle and all and see how difficult it is with the fence not moving.

Good luck, Jason
Old 05-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

I dont think the backpack carrying idea will work. I have an eberliestock and know
that it wont work with mine anyway even on a modest size rifle and scope. Best idea is to get a saddle scabbard that hold your gun. Have you talked about this with your outfitter yet?

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

I would get one of these...... TrailMax Rifle Scabbard: Right-Hand Bolt Action-Outfitters Supply
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

I bought an Eberlestock scabbard to fit my rifle. My plan is to strap it to the horse on the way in. Then when I start hiking to hunt it will be strapped to my backpack. I've used it on my backpack and it worked well there. Haven't had a chance to try it on the horse yet. That's my plan anyway.

Gordon
Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

i've tried my eberlestock while riding mules and it just doesn't work real well. you can't offset or angle the rifle enough. i'd check out the websites that the guys prior had listed.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhibbard24 View Post
i've tried my eberlestock while riding mules and it just doesn't work real well. you can't offset or angle the rifle enough. i'd check out the websites that the guys prior had listed.
That's good to know. Thanks.

Gordon