Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Back from Colorado

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,
I didn't notice the noise shooting at the deer. Nor did I feel / notice it later. Just one shot though. I can sure recognise my partners braked 300 ultra.

Elk,
We were hunting in Routt national forest about thirty miles northwest of Steamboat. And yes, while everything froze hard at night, it was warm during the day. I can't remember the last time I spent a week there without getting some weather. Snow, a little at least, was what we needed.

BB,
I'd always heard stories about that particular technique. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer. I must warn others though, it can be a messy way to hunt. Remember your feet!
As for shooting 1169 yards, there's nothing like an accurate rifle and accurate drop data for spreading grins around!

Phil,
Good luck to you! It seems I can't get home from a hunt without starting to look for another. Thanks for roundin' up that rifle. My huntin' partner is tickled with it. Sure sounds like you've got a nice place to live!

Len,
You're welcome! Thanks for the site!!!!!!! I sure hope it produces rewards for you. I love it! Glad to contribute my little bit.

Joel,
We wouldn't want it to come easy. We like to pack in high and deep. The tough part of this hunt was, it seemed the futher / higher we went the fewer animals we saw. One more lesson learned. Just working hard doesn't get it done. We had to back up and change strategies. We had to pull out of the high country we wanted to hunt, scour our maps for hard to reach low areas, and burn a lot of time and energy checking them out. Coupling the tough conditions with fantastic amounts of game within range we couldn't shoot made things frustrating.

I like your stock a lot myself. You probably can't tell from the photo I modified the forend. I found the rifle muzzle heavy, and the sandbag type forend too bulky. So, I trimmed the forend to a more traditional size and shape. I also removed a bit of wood in the grip, so my thumb could wrap as well as ride on top. I like the balance and feel much better now. I also shed about a pound. Anyhow, it's a great stock!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Good story Lorenzo !!

Enjoyed your Co. adventure !! I know you were hoping for something bigger but your trip was a success and you probably learned some things that will help you in the future !!!-- Such as the ( Law of Convenience. ) When you take a B.M. while hunting, the size of the Deer, Elk or other Big Game that walk up to you while taking said B.M., Is in direct proportion to how far away your gun is from you while indisposed !!! Next year put that gun about 20 ft away and that 180 Buck you're hoping for will walk right up. If you unload the gun you can get that buck or bull up another ten points for sure !!! The snort from the buck was self explanatory.

Just having a little fun with you Grit. Call me with the details.------RHB

Last edited by 7mmRHB; 11-15-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Congrats guys on some well earned game! Great write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I dropped my pants and grabbed for my gun. Or rather my rifle.
Classic!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Great job and nice pics Grit. I'm glad the old boomstick worked out well.

Perhaps next time, you'll just have to wait 'till sundown to answer the call of nature!!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
SPONSOR

Hey Grit, first off congrats on a great hunt. Second, I was really like the looks of that Joel Russo stock. I tried to do an internet search for more information but didn't come up with anything. Is there a site where I can learn more about that stock or where to buy one?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Big Sky,

Joel Russo posted a reply on the first page of this thread. If you right click his name, you can send him a private message or an email. I like the stock, and Joel was great to work with. What do you plan to put it on?

I saw your whitetail post too. Congrats! I like the deer resting on the rifle pose. Have to try that.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

COngrats on the moolies. Great job on the fotos too. WOW.

NRA Life Member