Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Back from Arkansas deer hunt. Got good and bad news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2005, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Back from Arkansas deer hunt. Got good and bad news.

7mmagman,
Thanks for the support, I've came to the conclusion that I'll just have to get over it. I will just have to get him next year.
Nomosendero,
You hit the nail on the head. You have to be quick, and I have yardage streamers set up out to 600 yards. The woods are really thick on either side, but so are the deer. Every morning and afternoon that I hunt I see anywhere from 20 to 100 deer. We all know that those big bruisers don't like it out in the pipeline. I'd say that the pipeline that I hunt are maybe 10 to 15 yards wide, and it takes only seconds for the big boys to pass.
Thanks fellas,
Brandon
Old 12-24-2005, 11:57 AM
SPONSOR

Great story and congrats on the deer you got. Losing a deer you hit is one of the worst feelings a person can have, but it happens. Just out of curiosity, did I send you that scope?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

BJ,
Your dang right you did, and it did perfect. I can't believe the difference in the zeiss and the nikon monarch that I have on my 300 wby. It's absolutely uncomparable. I might not have killed the 8-point if I would've had it, because it was early and overcast. That thing really brings out the light.
Thanks partner,
Brandon
P.S. Next year you outta slid down a few miles and hunt a few days with us.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

Not sure this would apply but if you have some good crossing trails, consider putting some scent bottles/rags mid field across the pipeline. Often times this will give you that extra time you need while they are checking out where the other deer had been.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:40 PM
SPONSOR

Glad to hear it my friend!!! Congrats again on a good hunt.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

Don't feel too bad. I lost the first deer I shot. It was about a 70 yard shot, right through the lungs. Anyway, tracked for about 45 minutes until the blood ran out. I know I hit the lungs because I found about half of one on the ground and about an 1/8th of one hanging on a fence. I shot it with a .308 using an SMK 168. Must have left a big exit wound. I could not believe we couldn't find it. Have since switched to ballistic tips.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM

DuckinAlaska,
I sure know how it feels to loose one like that so you have my sympathy. The first buck deer I ever shot at in my life, I was 7 or 8 yrs old, was a big ole' WV 12-pt. that walked right thru the brush right up to about 10 yrs. in front of me. I let go with my trusty old 410 slug gun, saw the hole open up right behind his left front shoulder, everything. He takes off out around the hill and instead of me just sitting still as my Grandfather had told me to about an hour before this, I took off after him. As you say, there were blood, bone, hair, guts, everywhere, but I couldn't find the deer. The blood trail trail stopped dead after approx. 150 yds.. I went and got my grandfather and after he chewed me out good for not sitting still, we tracked him some more - no luck. However, I did find that deer about 3 hrs. later, at the little country store that was also a checking station right below our house - he was in the bed of my neighbor's old Chevy P/U. I knew it was the right one - I remembered the brow tine on the righ side that went straight down by his right ear! The only hole I could see in the deer was the one my 410 made right behind the left front shoulder. I think the deer must have walked up to the guy and died. When I asked the guy where he got the deer at, he said right up there behind your house! Right then's when I wished I was about 10 yrs older - we would have stirred a little dust up there in that parking lot! It's the truth guys - thats something that can happen to you 40 yrs ago that you CAN'T forget!