Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

% of B&C Whitetails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Originally Posted by buffalorancher View Post
When people talk about luck I don't think it get's the recognition it deserves. I would venture to say that a VERY high percentage of real monster deer are killed as a result of dumb ass luck. Around here, if 10 trophy deer are checked in I would say maybe 1 of them at best was killed by a truely skilled hunter. However, our rifle season is one week during the peak of the rut so there is a lot of margin of error.
That maybe true for an indavidual who has harvested ONE B&C critter in his whole life. For the guys who continually harvests B&C quality game, they may get lucky from time to time but rest assured most of their success has nothing to do with luck.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Unread 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
i tend to agree with both of these statements. one guy has a room full of serious trophy's that he spent countless hours on a year round basis to harvest maybe one trophy deer every three years. on the other hand, the real monsters are usually the result of blind luck. get a copy of the book "world record whitetails" by Gordon Wittington. he tells the account of quite a few of the current and past world records.see how many you would put in the luck or skill category. of course there's one chapter in there that's better than all the rest. maybe i'm just a little biased sense the story is my account of my world record deer. yes it was the easiest kill of all of my trophy's. like i said, i agree with both statements.
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member
If talking about B&C bucks one of the important elements to taking such an animal is location. Not what part of the woods rather what part of the country or providence. I've spent 18 years hunting Georgia an was "lucky" enough to take a 184. Hunting Alberta the past 6 years I've managed to bring home two more that makes book. Aside from the two I did take, I saw at least two more that would make the minimums.

Staying in a stand from before shooting light until dark can be a real charter builder especially the last half of November in Alberta but word has it that few booners are ever taken from camp. Developing the ability to pass on a good many mature bucks is another requirement to increase your odds to be "lucky."

I've never developed a taste for tag soup but have endured such a meal more time than I care to mention.
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Dave, I have that book and just looked in it to find you, great buck.
Unread 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Silver Member
hope this works.....

hopefully i can get the pics to post........
this one scoed mid 150's estimated age around 4 years

this one scored 130's and aged over 6 years

this one scored almost 140 and aged at about 3 years old

this one scored over 170 and aged at about 5 years old

all of these deer came off the same farm and hopefully over the next several years it will produce many more.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." ~Ronald Regan