Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

% of B&C Whitetails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

% of B&C Whitetails

I was reading an article in the newest Quality Whitetails magazine from QDMA that referenced a study on the King Ranch. Of 2,659 antlered bucks researchers captured that were at least 1.5 yrs. old, only 4.2 percent scored at least 150 inches, and only 1 percent were 170 and higher. Of the 732 antlered bucks aged 5.5 or older, only 11.2 percent scored at least 150 inches, and only 1.9 percent were 170 and higher. I have seen similar numbers thrown around in different parts of the country so I think these percentages are probably about the best you can expect. This really puts things in perspective when you are looking at areas to hunt. You aren't going to shoot a B&C anywhere without some good luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Good luck and good genetics help. I think if you can harvest a mature deer, 3.5 years and older that scores 150 plus, you have a good trophy animal. In the last 8 years we have tired our best to only harvest mature deer on our family farm and we have taken some very nice deer. I will try to post pictures and what each deer scored, but in the last eight or so years a 170, 150, 140 and a couple that were pushing 140 have been harvested. I have only harvested one of these deer but I take just as much pride in all of them since I plant food plots, put out mineral and scout year around for them. Good genetics, hard work and selective hunting can lead to trophy animals.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

Genetics are key

Here is a buck I took here in Illinois several years ago. Two different DNR people aged him at 3 1/2 years old. He scored 188 non-typical. Good genes and good corn.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

that's a very impressive deer with a lot of inches but i would love to have seen him in a year or two.

i've killed some nice bucks but i don't know how to post pix.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Luck too

I forgot to mention that I also agree that luck plays a big role, also. I hunted a total of 10 years in that area to kill one buck of this caliber. Bucks like this just don't make many mistakes. I found two different bucks on that property that appeared to have died from natural causes. The antlers were pretty torn up by the time I found them but my guess would be that they were bigger than this one. I believe that once a buck reaches 4 to 5 years old they go mostly nocturnal and stay very reclusive, at least in my area of dense brush, plentiful food, and no baiting allowed.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
To harvest B&C quality animals in any species you NEED certain elements.

1: You have to be in an area that hold such animals.

2: You need lots and lots of time.

3: You need mucho patience. You may only get one chance at your trophy. Leaving your scent behind or making the wrong noise ect...might cause him to move out to another location. Just because you can see him doesnt meen you can get him. You have to wait for the perfect opprotunity even if it means waiting for another day.

4: A little luck never hurt. Unless it is bad luck.

5: Percistance pays. Hunt every single day during your hunt from dark to dark even if the weather isnt comfortable.

6: Using the best gear money can buy (so long as it is actually worth it) can make or brake the ability to harvest such a trophy. The best glass to spot him at near dark and the best rifles to make the shot as well as the best supporting gear to make you comfortable during long glassing sessions. If youre not comfortable, you wont glass long enough to find what youre looking for.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

When people talk about luck I don't think it get's the recognition it deserves. I would venture to say that a VERY high percentage of real monster deer are killed as a result of dumb ass luck. Around here, if 10 trophy deer are checked in I would say maybe 1 of them at best was killed by a truely skilled hunter. However, our rifle season is one week during the peak of the rut so there is a lot of margin of error.