Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Australian sambar DeeR hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

Australian sambar DeeR hunting

Australian sambar DeeR hunting-img_0829.jpg
okay this is me firs post whit a pic, love the new system.

this is me firs long range samba deer at 250 m with me TIKKA T3 270 win was using a Hornady 150 gr SST, I find the Tikka loves the Hornady rounds
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Australian sambar DeeR hunting

Man I'm jealous! We're going into Sumer here and averaging around 105-110F every day. Fall seems like a year away.

Great picture of what would be a pretty tricky shot with that foliage just getting in the way a bit. Fortunately if it's a long shot the arc should clear it fine.

BTW, I've never found a rifle that didn't shoot the hornady's well. Sometimes you just have to play a bit and maybe try a different bullet or two. The interlocks however have shot well for me in everything I've tried them in.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

EXCELLENT PIC!! I have tried several times to take one through my spotter with crappy results. Thanks for posting it.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 06-29-2012, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Man I'm jealous! We're going into Sumer here and averaging around 105-110F every day. Fall seems like a year away.

Great picture of what would be a pretty tricky shot with that foliage just getting in the way a bit. Fortunately if it's a long shot the arc should clear it fine.

BTW, I've never found a rifle that didn't shoot the hornady's well. Sometimes you just have to play a bit and maybe try a different bullet or two. The interlocks however have shot well for me in everything I've tried them in.
Thank you SiR,
The shot was made easy by the dissents, the samba deer is very cunning but if you add dissents it helps makes it easer to hunt, I watched this deer for about 10 min and decided to keep stalking and get a bigger stag farther up the gully. On the way back it was still, we watched it for about 15 min and we decided to shot, it was in the open when I shot, I had heaps of practice at 250 m and was confident with only about 17.5 cm bullet drop .7 mil on the scope..
even at 250 it could hear the sound of the iPhone camera going off
Old 06-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabdog View Post
Thank you SiR,
The shot was made easy by the dissents, the samba deer is very cunning but if you add dissents it helps makes it easer to hunt, I watched this deer for about 10 min and decided to keep stalking and get a bigger stag farther up the gully. On the way back it was still, we watched it for about 15 min and we decided to shot, it was in the open when I shot, I had heaps of practice at 250 m and was confident with only about 17.5 cm bullet drop .7 mil on the scope..
even at 250 it could hear the sound of the iPhone camera going off
They are truly magnificent animals and I'm still having a real hard time wrapping my mind around calling anything that big a "Deer" HA!

We actually have a few Sambar in the US in Florida that can be hunted with limited permits from the USF&W. I doubt I'll ever make one of those hunts but I sure enjoy sharing in those of you guys who have them in such large numbers.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
They are truly magnificent animals and I'm still having a real hard time wrapping my mind around calling anything that big a "Deer" HA!

We actually have a few Sambar in the US in Florida that can be hunted with limited permits from the USF&W. I doubt I'll ever make one of those hunts but I sure enjoy sharing in those of you guys who have them in such large numbers.
The big stags can get up 300kg the Samba deer is one of the best stalking Deer.
I didnít know you had them in the USA; we have them In BIG numbers in Australia,
If I had a looked out my window whit a light around this time id properly see 1-2,
Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabdog View Post
The big stags can get up 300kg the Samba deer is one of the best stalking Deer.
I didnít know you had them in the USA; we have them In BIG numbers in Australia,
If I had a looked out my window whit a light around this time id properly see 1-2,
As far as I know Florida is the only place in the US with a wild population. There are probably some on the high fenced exotic ranches but I don't really call that hunting.

I'll just keep enjoying the photos and stories from you Ozzies.