Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Atv use thoughts and opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

Atv use thoughts and opinions

I would like to hear hunter's thoughts on this board on atv use. Do use one? Do you agree with the use of Atv's? Would you like more trails opened up for atv use or more trails closed? The more info the better.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Atv use thoughts and opinions

Private property, sure why not.

National Forest depends on the situations I suppose.

We use to use them where we could on NF, to get to and from places, but you cant ride them anywhere anymore so theres no point in owning one.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Here in N. Idaho you can ride them in most towns. I'm trying to get an idea from experienced hunters who have hunted for quite a few years on there sucess rate with and without Atv's. I don't own one and won't. I like them and ride a dirt bike but for fear of what I've seen in N. Idaho am afraid if I owned one I would never get off of it and my @ss would become part of the seat.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Platinum Member

No. I do mot think that ATV's or any motorized conveyance should be used off road for hunting except maybe in some special circunstance such as disabled hunters. Otherwise get off your ***** and use the legs and feet God gave you.

Last fall, I hiked up to a ridge to hunt deer and elk on NF land. there was a two track vehicle trail that ran along the top of this ridge but motorized vehicle traffic was prohibited. So I humped up there and quietly still hunted the ridge. After about thirty minutes I hear the whine of a four wheeler. It gets closer and louder and then finally passes by with two riders. It goes up the ridge alerting everything for a mile around and then 15 min later comes back. Do these law breakers care that they just ruined another guys hunt for that evening? I doubt it. They were so observant, they didn't have a clue I was even there. This spring, similar experience. NFS road is blocked off to all motorized traffic until the end of bear season. BIG SIGN right at the locked gate that no one can miss. I get out of my car, lock it up and head up the closed road. In about 5 min I hear engines a long way off. After about 5 min they come down the road, four of them making the loudest noise imaginable. I was not a happy camper and did not greet them with a smile.

I find it amazing that guys will shave every ounce they can off their rifle and are willing to sacrifice function and effectiveness of their firearm and carry an extra 20 lbs or more around their waste into the field. They will do everything they can to make it easy for themselves to get to point X except get in shape and use their legs. My present carry rifle is an 8 1/2 lb Sendero (for LR capability) topped with a 2 lb scope, and I carry it using my legs and feet just like I have carried all my rifles.

If you want to ride an ATV, do it legal, get a good muffler, and dont ruin someone else's day. Respect the land and the other users.

My $.02

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 07-17-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

I agree with your .02$ This is my personal opinion also. The same situation has happened to me several times.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

I own one. During hunting season you will find it in my garage, mostly. The endless droning of four wheelers opening weekend is so far removed from what I want hunting to be. Worse yet is many of the hike and horse trails around here are open to dirt bikes. Nothing like a two stroke in first gear screaming by with some dolt and his rifle slung over his shoulder.

Mostly, the noise bothers me. Lack of respect for boundaries is a big issue too.

I have used mine to hunt twice. Both times were after work, week days, lowland area, with the kids along. These were not serious hunting efforts, more of an outing with the kids, and better bring a rifle in case we see deer. I did enjoy those trips.

I have mixed feelings about controlling atv's. Frankly, we've got more than enough rules and regulations about....everything! That said, if the noise and boundary respect issues could be resolved it would sure improve my enjoyment of hunting season.

The atv hunters should have room to do their thing. But, I sure don't like it. I would and do gladly leave mine off the mountain.

There are a few wilderness areas here I would be tickled to see expanded.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Silver Member

I do think they have their place as long as laws are obeyed. Its like everything else though, a few bad eggs screw it up for everyone else. I think there should be better enforcement of the laws on atvs, but I don't think they are a bad thing.