Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

A feature I like is legs fold either direction,and I have had them opposing to stradle a log or fit rock shape better.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

I'm stoked to see Len as another vendor of the Atlas!

Jeff, you can also use the Atlas with an AI Spigot mount (the little stud that sticks out the front of your forend.) It's reportedly not as ridgid as the pic rail though.

Here's a decent pic of the QD model on my 6.5wsm.

Atlas Bipods, worth the price??-6-5-wsm-first-shots-2-.jpg

t

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I will look into the rail though, the rifle really has no forearm. Just a barrel tube. I would think it will be thick enough to drill and tap though. Man, still waiting on the rifle and already drilling holes in it.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
The atlas allows for a lower position as the way the Harris mounts sits it up higher, my center of bore measures 8" with the Atlas while the Harris is 9.5
So do I read this correctly, with the Atlas over the Harris we loose 1 1/2" of height on the bottom and 2" on full extension with the Atlas?

If correct that does raise a little concern for me with my ELR rifle. It seems that many shots over 2000 yards we are extending the bipods more as most of the time we are shooting at an upward angle.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
So do I read this correctly, with the Atlas over the Harris we loose 1 1/2" of height on the bottom and 2" on full extension with the Atlas?

If correct that does raise a little concern for me with my ELR rifle. It seems that many shots over 2000 yards we are extending the bipods more as most of the time we are shooting at an upward angle.

Jeff
you can buy leg extensions for the Atlas, they snap in where the feet on the bi-pod do, they give an extra like 3 inches to the total height.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
you can buy leg extensions for the Atlas, they snap in where the feet on the bi-pod do, they give an extra like 3 inches to the total height.
Thanks, I did read that and I assume they do attach very solidly. I guess that is as good of an option as offering pods at different heights. What do the legs go for now?

So, I am starting to see their will be a considerable amount of more $$ in adding one.

Pod
Quick attach
Leg extensions
Pic rail

Am I missing anything?

So what would be a good online price for all except the rail? I feel the rail may differ a bit from rifle to rifle. I believe NF offers one that can be machined to fit.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Thanks, I did read that and I assume they do attach very solidly. I guess that is as good of an option as offering pods at different heights. What do the legs go for now?

So, I am starting to see their will be a considerable amount of more $$ in adding one.

Pod
Quick attach
Leg extensions
Pic rail

Am I missing anything?

So what would be a good online price for all except the rail? I feel the rail may differ a bit from rifle to rifle. I believe NF offers one that can be machined to fit.

Jeff

most places have very similar proces, when I was looking, it was like comparing prices for NF scopes, no real difference. I got my bi-pod from Triad Tactical, they have everything you would need for installing an Atlas. I just got one of the basic Accu-shot rails for mine.