Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Re: Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

I am considering buying this Bipod.My question is, can I use it while in a sitting position. I was wondering if you could buy extentions to use while hunting? Ed
Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Silver Member

There are leg extensions available but not enough to let you use them from a sitting position...........for sitting use a Harris 25C bipod, use the Atlas for everything else!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM

About sitting, the outer legs have a ID of .50, which happens to be a common size for round stock, like wood or nylon dowel rods and aluminum bar. Soooo a motivated person can simply cut the round stock to length remove the standard rubber feet (push button) and insert the bar into the extended outer leg and now you have a custom height.

The V10 is the same as the 5-H and will be for the heavier rifles. And I'm not going to give availability estimate because history shows I've failed miserably at doing so.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
About sitting, the outer legs have a ID of .50, which happens to be a common size for round stock, like wood or nylon dowel rods and aluminum bar. Soooo a motivated person can simply cut the round stock to length remove the standard rubber feet (push button) and insert the bar into the extended outer leg and now you have a custom height.

As much as I hate to admit it. I hadn't considered that, damn good idea Kasey, thank you.

t

Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
The LRH Store will be offering the quick detachable, lever type in a couple weeks.

I am very glad to see the positive comments.
Do you sell the base the 1913 style pic rail?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Bronze Member

Thought I'd chip in here. I have an Atlas with the QD-mount. Not wanting to modify my rifles in any way I purchased a bunch of Blackhawk Swivel Stud Picatinny Rail Adapters. Work great.

Cheers
Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM

The Atlas is a vast improvement over the Harris bi-pod. I believe this is simply due to the age of the Harris design and the changes in bi-pod use. The Harris is still an excellent piece of gear and should be the first bi-pod every new shooter uses. I feel that until you can exploit the Atlas advandages. I have the Atlas but prefer the Bobro for tactical match shooting. It is a very solid very well made, (hand made) bi-pod which is close in price to the Atlas. The Bobro has another advanage over the Atlas in that is is not a rattle trap on the battlefield, plus the Atlas ballbearing detents do not like khátti or Afghan mud/sand/dust. The Harris is much better in these conditions hence why the harris is still the MOD/DOD standard. I like the features of the Atlas when they can be used, when they are not a liability and the shooter has done the training and time to exploit the advances the Atlas offers. I recently purchased the Elite Iron bi-pod. I have not yet spend much time with it, but it's build quality is first rate and it does have some revolutionary ideas and concepts.
So to sum up the question YES IT IS WORTH IT.. if you use it!