Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Atlas Bipods, worth the price??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Maybe the wheel can be replaced with a lever by you.
Now having used my Atlas for a while, unlike the tilting feature on the Harris, the Atlas can be set on a tension level that once broken in that doesn't require consistent adjustment. Also, ran into a mount produced by Seekins that is a superb mount for rifle stocks. It is an integrated sling swivel and is supplied to fit a two hoke configuration for McMillan, HS, or B&C .

Sling Rail System

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

I ordered my atlas from Len yesterday cant wait to get it!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

We have been using these bipods for several years now. We too like them so much decided to carry them in our proshop and online store. I will not knock the Harris as it does have some good qualities to it. The owner over at B&T is a great guy as well. It is a family run business just like Rifles Only and I believe this place as well. Good company and good product, something I know we are willing to support as much as possible.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

I am running 2 different GG&G's. One is the XHD on a 16lb custom 300RUM and one HD on an 11lb 6.5 Grendel gasser. I like them both. I have not been able to handle an Atlas to compair the two. Has anyone been able to do so that can chime in? I have a nice 6BR build coming along and was thinking of going with an Atlas if it is of higher quality or at least equal to the GG&G. Also any word on the V10 model Atlas I hear about in the works? I hear it's built for bigger and heavier guns.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

I've shot with both the harris and atlas quite a bit. I like the push button leg adjustments on the harris and can usually get the rifle where it needs to be faster than with the atlas. With the atlas you have to pull down a coupling and move the leg which can be tough when prone, but with practice you can get better at it.

Atlas Bipods, worth the price??-atlas.jpg
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Been using mine for going on 3 yrs. now. I have SRS rails to switch easy between rifle and I like that legs go fore and aft, independent. I have had them set that way. Heres mine with legs at different height and angle, sitting in a cradle I made for my sportmans tripod,good in field support.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Atlas Bipods, worth the price??-338-chute.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 PM

To answer the OP question, Yes! (I do admit to some bias.... )

Len, thank you for your patronage and we're glad to have you on board!

A couple of things, the Atlas was designed for use with a rail as it is more secure and near impossible to pull out which is not the case with a sling stud.

It was also designed for the battlefield using the SCAR requirements as a guideline. The desire to offer a better, lighter bipod to those that serve was the motivation, they deserve the best we can do. The fact professional and civilian rifle enthusiast have found a value in its design and are willing to say as much is humbling.

Regarding other bipod offerings, we will be releasing some new novel products this year that are geared towards ELR.

Atlas was the first bipod to offer multiple independent leg positions, Pan and Cant and has several patents to include these. So to see yet another bipod (links above in another post) this one claiming to be the "finest" incorporating these features is flattering and suggests Atlas leads the way.