Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Asking the experts..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Bronze Member

Asking the experts..

Since many here I consider to know just about anything and everything possible concerning shooting at extended ranges, I figgered this would be the place to ask this question....Would it be even remotely possible for ANYONE to consistently make 700-800 shots on running big game animals? In this particular case, there is a guy on another forum claiming he makes these shots on Whitetail deer with ease. I figured lead distance, bullet drop as well as I know how and can't see any way this guy isn't full of it.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Asking the experts..

I'm not buying into it. But I'm no expert.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I am certainly no expert on running shots on game at long range or any range for that matter but I would say there are not alot of guys out there that have studied and hunted whitetail deer any harder or more seriously then I have. This is my problem with the question posed.

A. IS it possible to make these shots, possible yes, likely NO.

B. To make these shots, the shooter has to be perfect, not only that the target animal must be traveling in a consistant direction, consistant speed and remain at a consistant elevation. In my experience, a whitetail deer WILL Rarely do any of these. That very common "Whitetail Bounce" would cause severe problems making consistant shots. This is when a whitetail is running smoothly and then for no apparent reason, takes a 20 foot bound and then starts running smooth again, then another bound, very inconsistant and IMPOSSIBLE to predict.

C. Most that talk about such feets may have done this once, maybe even twice but then believe they can do it all the time, FOOLISH at best. Generally those that talk all the time DO VERY LITTLE, especially when they are flapping their jaws on a web site with no accountability of any kind, makes super marksmen out of alot of very inexperienced big game hunters.

In real life the guy probably took a running shot at 300 yards and thought it was 600-700 yards. I would really like to see this guy prove he is this good but not on wild game because I do not believe a word of his claims. THe simple reason why, there is no way that a whitetail will behave predictably enough to make these shots consistantly.

More importantly, do not waste your breath debating this guy because its hard to debate fantasy and I am sure about 99% of these claims are likely covered in pixy dust!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

demented,
throw the BS flag on that guy.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

He's full of it, do the math

lets use my 7mm Allen Mag as an example, it runs a 160 accubond at 3575 fps, Time of flight to make 800 yards is .84 sec. It also has 77" of drop at that range 2.75 mil. holdover. So a whitetail runs 35 mph which is 52 fps. so 52x12" = 624"X .84 (TOF)= 524" of total horizontal lead which amounts to 18.25 mils thats more than 1/2 the field of view so at the shot the deer probably wouldn't be in the scope

so this guy would have to hold 2.75 mils high, and 18.25 mils infront of POA to make an 800 yard running shot, let alone the fact that he would have to shoot offhand to keep the lead up and then if he wobbled .00693" off POA he would totaly miss the vitals of a deer.
So its a 1 in a million shot, if he ever did it it was luck nothing more, if he says he does it all the time, he's a liar.
RR
Old 02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Okay, I will agree with all that was said. I will even be a whistle blower and say he is full of himself, but.... and I emphasize but, a properly trained individual with the knowledge of windage and leading with mil-dots could make the shot. It would have to be someone that has extensively trained in shooting moving targets... i.e. sniper/scout training.

These guys are taught how to shoot, when to shoot at extended range at moving targets. Now granted people don't hop and bound like a deer and run near as fast, but they do drive cars. So with that said, yes it is possible. Can it be done consistently... he got lucky! Without knowing his background and training the likely hood of it being true is very slim.

I have to agree with Kirby and his knowledge on whitetails. The only running whitetails I have ever shot (2 and I got lucky) were up close and personal (1st about 20yrds, and 2nd about 50yrds). I touched the round off at the sight of hair and impacted the vitals. That should say something for how fast they run up close.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

No!