Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

AR 30 .338 Lapua or Rem Sendero .338RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

AR 30 .338 Lapua or Rem Sendero .338RUM

You can all thank goodgrouper and his damn pictures for getting me thinking again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I know theres many Custom rifles I could get built but right now, I'd like to keep it *fairly* simple and see how it goes.

Im a big fan of the Senderos, and getting an SF model in .338rum wouldnt be a problem.

I also hear good things about the Armalite AR 30. Prices will be about the same. By the time Id get a JP brake put on the Sendero, and they do their Performance package, Im looking at about $1,400.00[8 or 900 for rifle, 500.00 for JP work]. Just posting general amounts, a hundred either way is expected when I make my move.

I'd get another Super Sniper as I love them thus far. I have a budget to work with so go easy on me.

Now as far as ballistics go, the Scenars at Lapuas site are so far ahead in energy that its almost laughable. Are their charts right?

Lets stick to Factory ammo for arguments sake. I compared Federals .338rum to Remingtons, and the Federals have more energy and a better B.C. on average. With that out of the way....

Lets use 600 yards as an example...

Federals 225 grain Accubond measures in @ 2,131 ft lbs. Their Bonded Bear Claw 250 grain comes in @ 1,535 ft lbs.

Toss in the Lapua Scenar and you get 3,378 ft lbs at that same distance?!?! Am I reading their chart wrong at the Lapua site? You can find it under Ammunition/Sport/Rifle Cartidges/Tables for those interested.

Im asking if Im reading that chart wrong because I keep hearing how the .338rum can do everything the .338 lapua can. If those #'s are right, then those people are misinformed. The Energy difference in the Lapua would allow one to reach out a good distance further and make it much more versatile.

Realistically, for hunting, I wouldnt be doing any "goodgrouper" shots, yet. 5 to 600 yards would be realistic, and Im confident at that range.

I just want something.... how do I say this...

I want something thats Brutal, in a bone crunching kinda way .

I'd probably get around to reloading, as .338 lapua factory is expensive as hell. That brings me to another question...how much is your average round for reloading? At $70 - $80.00 per 20 Scenars, surely its got to be atleast half that.

If Im not reading those charts wrong, the decision is easy. Id get the AR 30 in .338 lapua. If I am an idiot, and cannot read a simple chart, and the actual #'s are closer than I think, then Id probably get the Sendero. Seems it would be cheaper to shoot in the long run as well, plus Im a Remmy whore [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

After scope/rings/base, the Sendero would weigh a hair under 11 lbs. Ive seen 2 weights for the AR 30. 12 and 14 lbs, so after scope mounting, it would be either 14 or 16 lbs, so weight doesnt play a huge role by any means.

Any first hand experiences with the AR 30? Im concerned about its barrel, although I hear its decent. I know people love the brake, making it fun to shoot. Ive read some threads on it but none that are very recent. Im already familiar with Senderos so no need to go into detail about those.

And as far as looks go, I can go either way. The AR 30 looks all business, and the Sendero SF is just sex for the eyes.

Opinions/Ideas/Thoughts?

Thanks for putting up with me

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Note: Maybe a Sendero in .300wm? And the AR in .338 lapua? Toss in the .308 and I'd be covered. Ignore this, I took too much Nyquil earlier and Im kinda dazed. If I read the lapua ballistic charts wrong, I will use that excuse [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: AR 30 .338 Lapua or Rem Sendero .338RUM

Don't get me wrong the 338's are cool but I would talk to fiftydriver and see what he can set you up with in either one of his 7mm allen mag or his 270 am. Just drop less and still hold enough energy to anchor mostly anything at 5-600 yrds. Just a thought. I'm looking at getting the 7mm built.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

Sticking with factory ammo.....out to 600 you won't see much of a difference between the RUM and the Lapua.....but in the long long shots...then the Lapua and the 300 MK take over and dominate.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

sniperVLS,

I can't tell you what is better, but I can figure how much reloads would cost (approximately).

100 250gr. Lapua Scenars are $44.99, so 45 cents each
98 gr. RETUMBO or H1000 (98/7000) * $20, so 28 cents per powder charge
primers - 2 cents each

$0.75 per loaded round, or $15 for a box of 20.

Those numbers would be virtually the same for either cartridge, but brass costs vary significantly.

Lapua brass is going for ~ $1.75 a piece
Rem brass in going for ~ $.50 a piece

So starting with 100 pieces of brass would be a $175 investment with the Lapua, or a $50 investment with the Rem.

Based on the powder capacities alone, it seems the rounds should be neck and neck in performance.

Hope that helps,
Carl
Old 01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

Greetings...SniperVLS

An interesting read for you,
search the net with...
The 338 Ultra, a poor man's Lapua,
authored by Mike Miller,
makes interesting reading.
...and somewhat answers your questions.
As I am certain you are aware, I am also looking for a Sendero in .338 Ultra.
However it is not for me....but, my brother wants one.
If I were going to buy a .338 Mag, i.e. .338 win, 340 weatherby, .338-378 weatherby, and the many custon .338 calibers...
without hesatation it would be a .338 Lapua in an Accuracy International AWM-F.
But....they cost immense amounts of money!!
If you open a box of .338 RUM at your local ammunition store, you will note the bullets tips are clipped.
So as to keep overall length short enough to clear the action...or so I have been told.
Me thinks this will not make for good down range performance.
However...I have no experience with this cartrige.
Of course you could get a Rem. 700 donor action send it off and have it chambered for the caliber of your choice, good quality barrel for about the same amount of money.
I offered this suggestion to my brother and he isn't budging.
He wants a sendero...

Good luck in your choice.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Bruce, Ive read the Poor Mans Lapua b4 and it doesnt help me, I wish it did [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He says..

[ QUOTE ]
The caliber is close to the .338 Lapua but not its equal. The additional velocity will give the hand loaded Lapua rounds an edge in extreme distance shooting, but if a reloader of the Ultra shoots against factory Lapua ammunition, the edge tips back to the Ultra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see handloaded RUM equalling the factory lapua ballsitics I posted. Again..

.338 RUM
225 grain Federal (400 yards) = 2,784 ftlbs
250 grain Federal (400 yards) = 2,264 ft lbs
250 grain Rem A Frame (400 yards) = 2,347 ft lbs
250 grain Rem (400 yards) = 2,363 ft lbs

.338 Lapua
250 grain Lapua Scenar (400 yards) = 4,277 ft lbs

The lapua factory offers twice the energy of RUM factory??? I heard Black Hills offers decent lapua.

If Im not reading it wrong, how can even RUM handloads come close to that of factory Lapua? As far as the lapua Scenars are concerned, I hear people gushing over them and liking them much more than SMKs for hunting(thats a whole other debate).

Noone has verified if Im reading the ballistics charts correctly. If I am, as far as *factory* ammo is concerned, the Lapua gets you more range/energy than the RUM.

I don't know when Id start reloading for either, if ever. If Long Range shooting/hunting was the only thing I enjoyed, I'd spend whatever it takes. But I love all kinds of firearms for different reasons so I wont splurge on just one type. I've got more Sigs and a Bushmaster to buy.

I wish the Sendero came in the Lapua, no decision would have 2 be made [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I havent seen anything that shows the RUM can match the energy of a Lapua downrange. Accuracy doesnt come into play seeing as both are excellent.

The caliber is what will be the deciding factor. Right now the Lapua is winning.

I've never opened a box of .338rum at a store, I'll have to check them out.

I think Im going to overdose on Nyquil and sleep for a while, my head is pounding and thinking about this makes it worse [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

i don't know what the difference is in ft lbs but i'll guarantee you it's no where near what you've posted.the speeds from these two cartridges are very,very close.i'd be willing to bet if you looked on the lapua site, the numbers given were in metric.they probably were the metric equivalent to ft lbs. not sure what that would be,but the ft lbs of energy from these two cartridges would be almost identical.