Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

APS 338 Raptor, R&D early results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: APS 338 Raptor, R&D early results

Hey Kirb, can you run a .338 Raptor in a 700 magnum LA? Or will it be too short and have to be a single-shot?

Also, what would be the most inexpensive way for a guy to get a tube gun like the Noreen ULR in that caliber?

I'm one of those guys who loves the EDM Windrunner & Noreen ULR style rifles and the way they look. The less the better for a basic ULR rig... Just my style.

Anyway, lookin good! Keep up the good work!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey Kirb, can you run a .338 Raptor in a 700 magnum LA? Or will it be too short and have to be a single-shot?

Also, what would be the most inexpensive way for a guy to get a tube gun like the Noreen ULR in that caliber?

I'm one of those guys who loves the EDM Windrunner & Noreen ULR style rifles and the way they look. The less the better for a basic ULR rig... Just my style.

Anyway, lookin good! Keep up the good work!
I would not recommend the Remington M700 or any other factory chambering for the 338 Raptor. It would certainly have to be a single shot as will pretty much every receiver unless you use one of the full length Cheytac repeating receivers with the Cheytac class DM systems. IF you do that, you might as well step up to the 338 Allen Magnum which will get you into the 3400 fps class performance.

The Noreen ULR is not a tube gun, its a shellholder gun which is quite different. I have never worked with that receiver so can not say price wise but I can say there are a lot of other options out there in a receiver that would be a HELL of a lot better looking, at least as good performance wise and likely no more costly.

For the price of the EDM windrunner, you can get a HELL OF ALOT OF RIFLE!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, When you get a chance will you put some other cartridges in that pic with the Raptor and Allen mag 338's for perspective?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I would not recommend the Remington M700 or any other factory chambering for the 338 Raptor. It would certainly have to be a single shot as will pretty much every receiver unless you use one of the full length Cheytac repeating receivers with the Cheytac class DM systems. IF you do that, you might as well step up to the 338 Allen Magnum which will get you into the 3400 fps class performance.

The Noreen ULR is not a tube gun, its a shellholder gun which is quite different. I have never worked with that receiver so can not say price wise but I can say there are a lot of other options out there in a receiver that would be a HELL of a lot better looking, at least as good performance wise and likely no more costly.

For the price of the EDM windrunner, you can get a HELL OF ALOT OF RIFLE!!!
Thanks Kirby.

Yeah, the EDM Windrunners are rediculous in price. I still want a Nemesis Arms Mini Windrunner in .308....Just to have one for a SHTF kinda thing, since it fits in a backpack. But they still want $4,500 for one of those. For that price it better come with a friggin NF on top. LOL

Yeah, a shell-holder type gun is what I was talking about, since the barrel is basically the reciever and the parts are minimal. Sorry, I never knew the correct term for them. I just like the way they look.

I was just curious....I have absolutely no need for a caliber that large, but it's always cool to sit back and wonder what it would be like to shoot one.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Kirby, When you get a chance will you put some other cartridges in that pic with the Raptor and Allen mag 338's for perspective?
Ya I can do that. Next to the 338 Lapua or Edge or my Allen Xpress will really put it into perspective.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thanks Kirby.

Yeah, the EDM Windrunners are rediculous in price. I still want a Nemesis Arms Mini Windrunner in .308....Just to have one for a SHTF kinda thing, since it fits in a backpack. But they still want $4,500 for one of those. For that price it better come with a friggin NF on top. LOL

Yeah, a shell-holder type gun is what I was talking about, since the barrel is basically the reciever and the parts are minimal. Sorry, I never knew the correct term for them. I just like the way they look.

I was just curious....I have absolutely no need for a caliber that large, but it's always cool to sit back and wonder what it would be like to shoot one.
The EDMs are pretty cool rigs for sure. I have looked at their 50 several times but just could not justify the cost when I could get an AR-50 for 1/3 the price and I have never worried about keeping a 50 BMG class weapon compact!!

I have worked with a load of shellholder rifles but all in the 50 BMG class. THey are simple and they work very well and generally quite strong. Still, every one I have owned has gotten tiresome working the bolt and feeding the action. Their main advantage is cost to manufacture and that they keep the rifles OAL much shorter which is why they are used a lot for bullpup designs. Certainly was not trying to down talk them, just have never used them in anything smaller then the 50s and have never used one for a build.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder how hard it would be to scale a shellholder gun down 1 step to the .338 Raptor/ AM calibers?

Yeah, I could see where they would get tiresome, but I shoot all my rifles single-shot at the range. Especially, not if you're shooting sum-MOA @ 1,790 and haven't even finished developing a load for it yet. LOL

Quote: