Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

APS 338 Raptor, R&D early results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: APS 338 Raptor, R&D early results

So far no complaints, goal was 3150 fps with 300 gr Berger, looks like that will be more then possible in a 30" barrel and then some. At 3150 fps, brass should last a long time which is another design goal for my wildcats. Brass is expensive, I want my customers to be able to get at least 6 firings per case and preferably +8 firings. More testing coming with pics. Today however is shop time on customer projects which get full priority this time of year.

Evenings and weekends are for my playing!! Unless the wife has other plans!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I may but I suspect it will be to fast in burn rate. I may try some VV N-570 if I can round some up but not overly excited to use a powder that is not easy to get for the public. Whats another 150 fps if you can not get the powder.....
It could be a little fast. I got the impression that it was close to H870. But just speaking with an Alliant rep, he said it's a hair slower than Retumbo. On the other hand, another LRH member is using a max load 100 gr pushing 230 Hybrids in his 300 RUM, while my max load for 210's was 93 gr of Retumbo. Seems to be a BIG discrepancy there? It is a dense powder. It takes up a lot less room in my RUM cases compared to Retumbo.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

sound's great Kirby, cant wait to see some result's from range
Old 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
It could be a little fast. I got the impression that it was close to H870. But just speaking with an Alliant rep, he said it's a hair slower than Retumbo. On the other hand, another LRH member is using a max load 100 gr pushing 230 Hybrids in his 300 RUM, while my max load for 210's was 93 gr of Retumbo. Seems to be a BIG discrepancy there? It is a dense powder. It takes up a lot less room in my RUM cases compared to Retumbo.
I have found RL33 is more than a little bit slower than Retumbo & N570.

It certainly gives a good velocity increase in my 338 Terminator, (improved Lapua Magnum) over N570 & Retumbo.

I will be interested to see how it goes in the 375 DCM with the 330s & 350 Cutting Edge projectiles.

Looking forward to your testing it in the Raptor Kirby.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
I have found RL33 is more than a little bit slower than Retumbo & N570.

It certainly gives a good velocity increase in my 338 Terminator, (improved Lapua Magnum) over N570 & Retumbo.

I will be interested to see how it goes in the 375 DCM with the 330s & 350 Cutting Edge projectiles.

Looking forward to your testing it in the Raptor Kirby.
Does RL 33 have nore temp change then Retumbo ? Thanks for info Joe
Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Does RL 33 have nore temp change then Retumbo ? Thanks for info Joe
I haven't tested it or done enough with it to tell yet ?

We don't have the extreme temperature swings that you can get over there.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If its as slow as H870, its ALOT slower then Retumbo and from what I have seen slower then RL50. I would guess it closer to Retumbo then anything but a bit slower.

If it has a higher density, it really helps get more powder in the case. That may be the real difference over Retumbo and a bit slower. Still, from what I am seeing, it will be to fast for the 338 Raptor but may be MAGICAL in the 338 Allen Xpress.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com