Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

App or computer program for variables

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: App or computer program for variables

Yeah I know all of that Joe. Trying to inform the OP as to what he will have to deal with. Getting an MOA/click adjustment will not match to his yardage turret. He will have to do the checking himself.

What you answered does NOT answer his question.

I do not know of a single app that will return a yardage setting as a final result based on any input.

The G7 BR2 is the only thing that I know of that will give the OP the results he is looking for.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

never said it did, only calibrated turrets or turret tape will do that, but once you go past 1 revolution your right back to counting moa, clicks, mills. i pointed out a good alternative that works well and costs little.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
never said it did, only calibrated turrets or turret tape will do that, but once you go past 1 revolution your right back to counting moa, clicks, mills. i pointed out a good alternative that works well and costs little.
Not kicking ya but you can have turrets or the custom tapes build for more than one revolution with no issues.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Not kicking ya but you can have turrets or the custom tapes build for more than one revolution with no issues.
How? I have turrets tapes from custom turrets systems, the only way I could see that happening is with exceptionally tall turrets. Mine are marked for yardage out to 500, wind and MOA scale. there's no room left for more info. Take out the windage and MOA scale to make room for more yardages, you'd be overlapping yardages. Seems like you'd end up trading info for what might turn into a jumbled mess.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Well Joe,

My custom turrets go to 1100 yards. I have done exactly what the OP has asked about. 1st turn on the bottom, each additional turn is next higher level above the previous numbers . I do not have the windage on mine.

I have done exactly what the OP is asking and what I explained. It works perfectly. It is obvious that you have not done this. Nor spent the time to figure it out.

Custom turret systems is another avenue that could be used, as bigngreen pointed out. For $20 they could make your turret at the new variables. I have used them for one of mine and have to say they worked perfectly.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 PM

My scope has target turrets added by Leupold so as previously stated you can go past one turn. Mine is marked to 1000 yards, you just have to remember immediately return to 200yd zero after adjusting up so as not to forget what revolution you are on.

Thanks for the info on custom tapes. Are those reusable? Any suggestion on how much change in elevation or temp will make a big enough difference at say 800 yards? I have been told that out to 600 my turrets are probably close enough unless at an extreme difference in altitude or temp.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
Well Joe,

My custom turrets go to 1100 yards. I have done exactly what the OP has asked about. 1st turn on the bottom, each additional turn is next higher level above the previous numbers . I do not have the windage on mine.

I have done exactly what the OP is asking and what I explained. It works perfectly. It is obvious that you have not done this. Nor spent the time to figure it out.

Custom turret systems is another avenue that could be used, as bigngreen pointed out. For $20 they could make your turret at the new variables. I have used them for one of mine and have to say they worked perfectly.
well jacksd since i did not know they did that what exactly do you suggest a guy research or figure out? something he's not aware of? I gave usefull info based on the info the op provided and what i had at hand, not good enough for you pucker up, no reason to be an ass about it. Does it really mean any thing that i didn't know they did that, or that i asked more about it. Thats why I'm here to help and learn why are you? good op to be a condesending prick?

Joe