Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

App or computer program for variables

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM

App or computer program for variables

I have a 300RUM and Leupold scope with turrets marked for yardage. The yardage is based on 4500' elevation and 40 degrees with 210 Berger VLD's. It has worked well and I have been able to verify the turrets are correctly marked for where I hunt elk each year. I am considering going out of state in search of a big one and most likely that will mean different elevation (higher). Does anyone know of an app for my iphone that would give me the appropriate yardage setting given a true horizontal range and known temp and pressure?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: App or computer program for variables

shooter is pretty good

Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for iOS and Android
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

The apps will not return a yardage setting. Just a click adjustment.

If you know how many clicks to your yardage marks, then it it not hard to add/subtract the needed adjustments. The custom turret will be good to around 400 to 500 without any adjustment. But from there on out, you will have to +/- at different intervals depending on the variable adjustments.

You can create a cheat sheet in advance, if one or the other variable is known. Elevation would be the easiest to be known.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM

Thanks for that information. I will make up some cheat sheets and hopefully get a chance to test them before long.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

You may check the g7 program as it may output in yardage, not positive though. You could also have a turret tape made by custom turret systems for another elevation!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

I did just get the shooter app for my phone, and playing with it last night it looks like you can set it for 1/4" or 1/8" or yardage turretts. It has more adjustability than I expected. I have not been able to fine tune it to tell for sure, but some of the other guys on here can probly answer issue: but I would think it has what your looking for.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
The apps will not return a yardage setting. Just a click adjustment.

If you know how many clicks to your yardage marks, then it it not hard to add/subtract the needed adjustments. The custom turret will be good to around 400 to 500 without any adjustment. But from there on out, you will have to +/- at different intervals depending on the variable adjustments.

You can create a cheat sheet in advance, if one or the other variable is known. Elevation would be the easiest to be known.
they will give you an moa adjustment, shooter will automatically factor in angle and if you have a kestrel with bluetooth it will also take care of atmospheres, you still need to verify all the fields, verify range and dope the wind. having a dope card handy, the ability to reticle range to verify outputs is very handy.

I just got kindle fire a couple of weeks ago, bought the shooter app first thing. So far its been spot on, and pretty stinkin fun to play with
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe