Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anyone use a 8mm/RUM or 8mm/378 WBY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone use a 8mm/RUM or 8mm/378 WBY

My gun shop friend just called me. He just got in a .300 RUM BDL that he said he would swap me for my Savage .325 WSM. Tis very tempting.

Unread 11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
My gun shop friend just called me. He just got in a .300 RUM BDL that he said he would swap me for my Savage .325 WSM. Tis very tempting.
If it's a 700 BDL in a RUM caliber...you can have it re-barreled to a 7mmSTW!!!

I don't know how much you love your .325 WSM...but I would trade, re-barrel it to 7mmSTW....and NEVER look back!!!

You can even buy FACTORY-PRODUCED Federal Premium 7mmSTW bullets loaded with 160gr. AccuBond bullets!!!!!!!!!!!

Now...they just came out, not too long ago...so I haven't tried them yet...BUT I know someone who has...and he said he dropped a Moose @ over 500 yards with one shot with those, in 7mmSTW!!!!!!

That's a BADD bullet!!!

I'm buying some, when I get the money!!!
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Tang,
Go for it you will have a ball.

I will stand corrected on the reloading of the Weatherby brass. I once had a 30-378, and in my research I could swear that I got that info from Weatherby. I can not find it now, so my apologies.

Slayer, I am not a great authority on shooting, guns, and reloading. I know more than some, and less than a lot of others. I like to come here and share with like minded individuals, and hope that I can learn something. So please, don't make me out to be more than I am. I give my 2 cents when I think that it is worth that much.

Here is an example of my ineptness. How in the heck do you use these little icons in the post. They are the only way to give some sort of voice inflection in a statement, and I can't seem to put them in a post.

Thanks, Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

I'm liking this forum, although my shooting is waaay below the abilities of most (probably all) here.

To use the emoticons, click the "reply" button, dont use the quick reply. Then you can just click on the smilies to the right.
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I'm liking this forum, although my shooting is waaay below the abilities of most (probably all) here.

To use the emoticons, click the "reply" button, dont use the quick reply. Then you can just click on the smilies to the right.
First...Steve, I don't understand you're question?

And secondly...Tang, this is what makes this forum so much fun.

Because there is always gonna be someone on here that's below your level of shooting....YET...there's always gonna be someone on here that's better than your level of shooting.

And nobody cares how good or bad you are...at least, not to my knowledge?

It's all about sharing ideas, having fun, and gaining knowledge & experience.

So, don't be bashful...if you have a question about anything on here (whether you think it's a dumb question, or not)...just ask it!

Because there's no such thing as a "dumb question"...only dumb people!!! Hahaha!!! Just kidding!!!

It's what my Uncle always tells me.
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM
SPONSOR

I would stick with 300 RUM til the barrel is done and then rebarrel to a 338 Edge for the best long range performance from a Remington action. 7mm RUM is going to give bad barrel life if you shoot it a lot, and the 300 RUM has very similar ballistics, not worth a rebarrel to me. The 7mm STW isn't that big of a "big-bore" and won't do anything better than a 300 RUM...I see no reason to rebarrel. However, a brake is definetly suggested if you plan on shooting much with it!
Unread 11-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
I would stick with 300 RUM til the barrel is done and then rebarrel to a 338 Edge for the best long range performance from a Remington action. 7mm RUM is going to give bad barrel life if you shoot it a lot, and the 300 RUM has very similar ballistics, not worth a rebarrel to me. The 7mm STW isn't that big of a "big-bore" and won't do anything better than a 300 RUM...I see no reason to rebarrel. However, a brake is definetly suggested if you plan on shooting much with it!
.338 Edge is a Bad round...from what I've heard.

I've never shot one...so, I don't know how to compare it with anything.

If I had to guess I would probably say it's similar to a .338 Lapua???

The 7mmSTW, isn't a "monster-bore" rifle...however, it's a good shooter, with good ballistics, high barrel life, and can put quite a whompin' on something, if you use the right ammo, for your application.

That's the only reason I was suggesting it.

Tyler knows more than me...so...it's up to you.