Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anyone tried the Hornady 250 Target bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone tried the Hornady 250 Target bullet?

if the Hornady hollow point is rolled shut, that would make them different than the 250's i purchased last year. mine had a very large opening much bigger than the Sierra. i liked this as i thought it would open better/more consistantly combined with their peanut butter jackets on deer sized animals.

i never tested the claimed BC of 675. mine didn't look like they would be as good as the Sierra's which have around 59. Hornady's have a shorter boat tail, shorter ogive to tip and oal not as long.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Here is some pics of the 250 grain Hornday and 300 SMK

Top is the 300 SMK and below is the New Hornady, note the smaller hollow point.

In this photo you can see how the 300 SMK on right has a hollow point that is squared off, while the 250 grain Hornady has its hollow point rounded off and the tip closed in quite a bit.
The boat tail of the Hornady also looks a tad longer than the SMK.
I have not shot the 250 grain Hornady but plan to when the weather cools down a bit, it is going to be about 40 degrees C here this week in Victoria.
Plus a man has to work some time!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting... I can't wait to see what happens. In Queens I imagine you can shoot as far as you need to. Keep us updated. I was a long time Sierra fan, but recently converted to Hornady's for cost savings. I have noticed that price difference isn't much anymore. Again, let us know.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

I have a box for sale cheap and part of another box. When the new ones came out I tried them and could not get groups out of them. I liked the BC and have had good success with other hornady bullets but could not get these to shoot. Now I have the extra bullets I will never use. My favorite go to 338-378 will shoot anything good, it is just an awsome shooter. I tried these at a quarter mile and couldn't get these to shoot better than 9 inch groups when most accuracy loads shoot in the 2" range at that distance out of this rifle. Definite target shock when I looked at that target.