Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

anyone here have an opinion on the 6.5 stw?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM

anyone here have an opinion on the 6.5 stw?

or the 6.5 ultracat? i really like the 264 caliber. i shoot a 264 wm right now in my encore. 26 inch heavy. also have an old model 70 westerner that i bought just to look at! i hunt it once in a while. was looking to maybe build a big 6.5.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: anyone here have an opinion on the 6.5 stw?

I like the 6.5 calibers myself, although I don't actually own any (yet). I have been wanting to build a 6.5 Sherman and a .264 Wby Mag (.257 Wby necked up to 6.5) for quite a while.

I would look at the straight 7mm STW...Slightly less overbore than the 6.5, which means barrel life will be slightly better.

Not to mention the 7mm STW can push the big 180's to 3,000+ fps.

.264 WinMag would be the biggest 6.5 I'd go to retain any kind of barrel life, and about the largest I'd imagine before you reach the point of diminishing returns, based on bore size, case capacity, and velocity.

Despite the 6.5 STW not having the best barrel life, I've heard excellent things about it, as a caliber.

But that is just simply my opinion.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Before LTLR left the forum, he shared quite a bit of info with us regarding the 6.5STW. The last I recall being launching the 130grain CEB's at or near 3600fps from the big STW... wow... The 26 Nosler ain't got noting on that....

If you want one, build it. Barrel life is of little concern to this shooter, don't get it hot & clean it often. You may be surprised what you can get out of 'er.

My thoughts are that the STW paired with the 160grn Matrix VLD would open up another realm of 6.5 whoop-ass.

t

Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

The 7mm STW is my all time favorite rifle caliber.

Loving the 6.5's too and being in your boat wanting one that was even flatter than the .264wm I already own I was literally within minutes of ordering a 6.5STW when I first read about the 26 Nosler.

The guranteed availability of factory ammo, good supply of brass for reloading etc sent me in the direction of the 26.

Of course if you really want to go with the 6.5STW and later decide to go with the 26 all you'd need to do is re-chamber it to 26 Nosler and perhaps have to do a little work to lengthen the mag box depending on what action you start with.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

It's not a simple re-chamber to go from 6.5STW to 26 Nosler. The STW is 2.85" long and the Nosler I believe is 2.56" long so the barrel would have to be set back or the threads would have to be cut off completely in order to have the proper chamber. With that much of a set back I would rather cut the old threads off completely and start over.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

I just don't like 6.5's.

at least right now I got through that from time to time where I just don't want one caliber or another. I have had a lot of really good shooting 6.5's, but for now I will stick with 7's and 30's.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
It's not a simple re-chamber to go from 6.5STW to 26 Nosler. The STW is 2.85" long and the Nosler I believe is 2.56" long so the barrel would have to be set back or the threads would have to be cut off completely in order to have the proper chamber. With that much of a set back I would rather cut the old threads off completely and start over.
Why would you need to cut the threads off completely? Can you not just cut it off 1/2" set it back and rerun the threads using the original up to the point where you've turned it down for the set back?