Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anyone else ever have a 2-for-1?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 07:29 AM

Anyone else ever have a 2-for-1?

Took a 150 yard shot at a grown doe Monday evening, blew a quarter sized hole through the first one, and one a bit larger than a baseball in the second doe on the other side of the first one. Gun is a Sendero SSF 300RUM, shooting 180g Partitions. I wasn't expecting that....
Old 12-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone else ever have a 2-for-1?

Interesting topic. I have done two, one intentional and one weird one. Intentional was two does side by side, dropped them both with a 100 Hornady from a .257 Weatherby. They were three feet apart.

Weird one was the time I shot a large doe thru the neck at about 75 yards with a .223 Rem. 55 gr. Fed. round and a few seconds later a small buck came running down the hill from her upper right with blood streaming from his jugular - saw him drop also. That little bullet not only angled back to the right but deflected up, and the poor forkhorn was in the wrong spot at the wrong time. This happened in aspen cover near a farmer's yard - the guy was experiencing severe depredation problems and I had to kill some deer for some reason at the time. I had no idea the buck was standing up above me and the doe. I did know that there was not livestock and no people in the area at that time - I was essentially in the back corner of a very large farm yard. Thought the shot was very safe since there was a hill for a backstop, fairly open aspen cover and could see good behind the doe.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:17 AM

I took a six point once in a winter wheat field, not knowing that there was a doe with her head down behind him. Double lung shot him and broke her neck at the shoulder junction...
Old 12-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

Was really dissapointed when I looked into the thread. I thought you were going to allow me to talk about the time I did sisters!
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] @ Randy !

Well,I never did that. I mostly hunt moose and I have passed on those double shots several times,always will pass, once there were three in a row... not my piece of cake.

Sometimes one is more than enough to track.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Randy

Were the sisters "twins"????? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Would have been interesting to know which one was better?

Later
DC [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

I've intentionally shot several doubles when shooting crop damage deer. Generally shoot yearlings at two double lung but other times I've shot neck to double lung. Not a good hunting scenario but efficient for crop damage.

This is a real flame-fest type post on standard hunting boards...but then again so is hunting with match bullets.