Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

Opinions are great and I'm sure there is a lot that you can bring to the table as far as that goes. I can tell you are knowledgable. It's the posts like this that don't do you any good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Been saying this for years....But some folks believe all the hype and think they have to have a howitzer to kill at long range with.
That finger poking isn't going to bring any help to anyone and you are just asking for people to fire back at you.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

I know...Sometimes I let my frustrations get the best of me... I'm sure we've all done that before. I know it's not a new thing for me. I work in a high-stress envirnment job, so the mental stress is quite overwhelming at times. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but that's the best i got. LOL

Anyway, I will try to quit all the finger poking, and just move on.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know...Sometimes I let my frustrations get the best of me... I'm sure we've all done that before. I know it's not a new thing for me. I work in a high-stress envirnment job, so the mental stress is quite overwhelming at times. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but that's the best i got. LOL

Anyway, I will try to quit all the finger poking, and just move on.
I agree that you have a lot to contribute to this forum. My observation is that you seem to take personally any statements that appear to dimish things you like such as the 7 STW. I have never said the 7 STW is not a good Long Range Elk Rifle. What I have said is the 300 RUM is better and the 338 is better yet and then you seem to process that as...

Quote:
Been saying this for years....But some folks believe all the hype and think they have to have a howitzer to kill at long range with.
...and that I am diss'ing and dissmissing the STW or 7 RM when that is just not true.

I base my opinions on experience (mine and others) and facts like caliber size, bullet size, velocity, energy, etc. Bigger is better. Smaller can get the job done if done properly and not too small.

I look forward to your contributions based on your experince and objective analysis.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I just said that yes, it was capable of killing an elk...Which everyone agreed that it is, but as others on here have said, at a limited range comparatively.
And that's pretty much the bottom line. I could add that my dad has used a 6.5x55 with 129 SSTs (which I think is what Wayne van Zwoll was using in the video), for several years and has killed a bunch of bulls with it. BUT, they were all short range shots. Long range hunting is a different game. So, obviously the 6.5 Creedmoor can kill elk but I wouldn't expect to get 200 yard results at 800 yards.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

I have reached my analysis....

I haven't looked at things in this perspective before, but as I sit and ponder, I realize that when I bought the STW, it was to go elk hunting with my old man, but that never happened, as he developed bad knee problems and bad health. But looking back, I bought it because it was bigger than a 7RM and was more suited to that purpose, and I bought my 7RM because it was bigger than my 7mm-08, I got that because it was better than the .30-30, and the list goes on...... So I guess in a way, all my arguements have been entirely futile & invalid.

It's blowing my mind how dumb I have been for not seeing this in its proper perspective.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

Hahaha, seems like a familiar story. It's never bad to have more guns

So do I sense a 300 RUM or a 338 in your future now??? LOL, j/k
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

You know, as stupid as I feel right now.....I might just have to go buy a .338 LM, .408 CheyTac, or a .50 BMG just to finish off my collection... They would serve absolutely no purpose for me, other than to have and shoot at targets and stuff, but I think it would be fun to have.

I've always said it would be fun to have one, and as a handloader it will be alot cheaper for me to shoot than buying lots of factory loads, but here in the south it would be completely impractical for hunting, since the biggest game animals we tend to have are smaller black bears and whitetail deer, and a .308 Win can take care of those at most distances you will be hunting down here (usually inside of 500 yards).

Granted, when we lease land, and when I go hunting with someone, I try to find the area with the longest shots, just b/c nobody else wants to hunt those areas, b/c most folks down here think 300 yards is a long shot.

Quote: