Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005
I'm talking about the people who say you can't kill elk efficiently at long range with anything less than a RUM or Lapua....

.300 WSM is not a howitzer, I was simply commenting...I wasn't talking any of the calibers mentioned in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
I agree that most folks tend to think they need to be overgunned for elk and I would rather guide a shooter with a mid size cartridge capable of 1.5 MOA in the field than one with a t-Rex killer hoping to hit the barn door cause they are flinching so much from the muzzle blast of the M8B6 super fat boy 11* ported muzzle diffuser.......... no offense meant by reference to the WSM and a howitzer...........
What exactly is "overgunned"? And what exactly is overgunned on a 900 lb bull elk @ 1000 yds or more? Can you define that for me please?

Ya know fellas, this is Long Range Hunting. The members here who take up that sport shoot rifles that are capable of shooting 1/2 MOA or better and sub MOA at extended ranges and they are capable of accurately shooting at those ranges and the vast majority of them use muzzle brakes for a number of reasons. It is their individual responsibility to know the limitations of their rifle and their own self. Speculating on the ability to hit a barn door really isn't appropriate here.

I have a good friend who is 4 for 4 on bull elk with a 243 which is the only rifle he owns. He knows how to use it and it works for him and I don't tell him what to use or not use and how far he can use it. That said, if someone ASKS me what to use for elk, I would never tell them to go buy a 243, or a 6.5 Creemoor. If they ask me, "can I kill an elk with a 243 or a 6.5 Creedmoor?", I would say yes, it's possible, but not the best choice, especially depending on the range since we talk Long Range here. The fact that they're asking me tells me they have little to no experience elk hunting.

This fall, my long range arsenal will include a 6x284, 6.5 WSM and 300 RUM. I will use the RUM for elk and the other 2 for deer and antelope. If my RUM were to become unusable for some reason, I would use my 6.5 WSM for elk and I would probably use the new 160 Matrix bullet. My range limit would probably be about where it reaches 2000 fps in velocity and I would pass on front quartering shots and only take a shot that I could take out both lungs. A one lunged elk can run a loooong way.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about shooting cows. There is a big difference between a 400-500 lb cow and a 6 yr old large bodied 900 lb bull. I've shot both.

To the OP, no offense intended, but IMO this thread is better suited for a site like 24 hr Campfire as i don't associate the 6.5 Creedmoor with Long Range Elk Hunting. That said, my recommendation would be to use your WSM or Lapua for elk hunting at any range and use the Creedmoor for deer. If you do use your Creedmoor for elk, use a heavy good performing bullet (like the 160 Matrix) within it's effective range. Good luck with your hunt.

Lastly, I have never hunted large coastal brown bears and I would never presume to go to an Alaskan Hunting forum and recommend what to use for hunting coastal brown bears. I'll let the experienced bear hunters do that. I would recommend the same to those who have not hunted and killed elk.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,579
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

And here we go again......

But this time, I'm not even gonna get sucked into the BS.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,579
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
I agree that most folks tend to think they need to be overgunned for elk and I would rather guide a shooter with a mid size cartridge capable of 1.5 MOA in the field than one with a t-Rex killer hoping to hit the barn door cause they are flinching so much from the muzzle blast of the M8B6 super fat boy 11* ported muzzle diffuser.......... no offense meant by reference to the WSM and a howitzer...........
It's all good man, don't sweat it. Just glad we could get on the same page.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 608
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
And here we go again......

But this time, I'm not even gonna get sucked into the BS.
You asked for it again, just like you seem to do with every thread of yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Been saying this for years....But some folks believe all the hype and think they have to have a howitzer to kill at long range with.
You seem to open this can of worms in every one of your threads. You get mad when anyone says use the bigger caliber FOR ELK and you claim no one listens to you that if you are accurate, it works just as good. Well, maybe YOU should try listening to what everyone else says for once...

As someone who has ACTUALLY SHOT ELK, I agree with Montana on this one. You should use the 300WSM since you have one. If you only had the Creedmoor and were planning an elk hunting trip, I would not tell you to go buy another rifle for the hunt because the Creedmoor can work. However, when having the choice between the two, you should definitely go with the 300. I understand that if you place the bullet just right, a .22 would work to kill elk. However, bullet placement is not always perfect and having the larger caliber with more energy always helps for those less than perfect shots. And even for those perfect shots, more energy means more knockdown power. I have seen a cow elk with two perfectly placed 220gr pills take off running like she wasn't even hit. Anything that helps avoid that situation is always helpful. Just my two cents...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
You seem to open this can of worms in every one of your threads.
Yup, and it's getting really old. It detracts from the quality of this forum. I've seen guys banned for less.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 608
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

By the way, to the OP, I forgot that you also have a .338. That is obviously a great option as well depending on the weight of the rifle and how much walking you plan to put in. A lot also depends on the max range that you are looking at shooting. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,579
Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

I never mentioned any specific caliber in this thread. I agree that of those 2 calibers, the 300 WSM would be the more suitable and logical option. I never said I would choose the 6.5 Creed over the 300 WSM, or at what distance it was capable of killing an elk. Being that I've never shot an Elk, that would be stupid of me. I just said that yes, it was capable of killing an elk...Which everyone agreed that it is, but as others on here have said, at a limited range comparatively.

I have been shooting guns literally my entire life. I know how larger diameter bullets vs smaller diameter bullets work & function, and that their wound cavity is greater, vital shock is more intense and severe, they're more forgiving, they produce greater internal damage, a larger bleed hole, etc... I have never once argued that, b/c facts are facts. I HAVE argued that it is not always necessary to have the largest rifle available to get the job done. That is all I have been saying. I never once said the smaller caliber was more capable than the larger caliber, because that would be obsurd. I have stated that some 7mm projectiles have a higher BC than some of the .30 caliber projectiles. And that the 7mm's have a flatter trajectory based on their shape and design. And that they can also get the job done. Might not be quite as intense of an impact or results, but capable none-the-less.

I might not have always said it in quite the positive conveyance, and for that I do appologise for the confusion, and my overzealousness. I do not like getting into confrontations (I know it appears quite differently), but I do not. These are, however, internet forums for people to discuss things, instead of being short-sided and 1-dimensional.

I'm sure we can all agree on this, and move along in a civil manner. I will quit giving my opinion in this thread, as it is apparantly unwanted. Good luck to the OP, and hope you have a good seasonal harvest.

And for the record...This post is in no way intended to be sarcasm, so there is no need for sarcastic retorts.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC