Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone elk hunting with a 6.5 creedmoor??

For what it is worth there is an older post in the elk hunting section about hunting with the creedmoor. If I remember correct a member by the name of hognutz killed a bull elk with his shooting a 140 amax I think at 650 yards. Might want to look it up. Its a few page thread of good info on hunting with the creedmoor.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage110 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. The consensus of most is that if you can place the shot and the yardage is within reason for the size of the animal your trying to kill that I should be fine. And factoring in my past hunting results that definitely makes a lot of sence. I've shot a deer at 25 yards with a .460xvr and 260gr bullet in the vitals and had it run 100+ feet and I saw a guy on you tube shoot an elk at 75 yards with the same gun and it dropped its knees. So shot placement trumps caliber within reason.
Been saying this for years....But some folks believe all the hype and think they have to have a howitzer to kill at long range with.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

unless berger came out with a hunting hybrid and I been sleeping, DO NOT use the 140 target hybrid on game. I did on 3 crop damage deer and it is a hit or miss proposition on expansion, even at mid-ranges.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

I think we are talking about two separate questions

First, will a 6.5 Creedmoor kill an elk.....the answer is yes, hell i used to harvest cow elk with my 22-250 to fill my freezer.

Second, should the OP use a 6.5 CM over a 300WSM for an upcoming elk hunt...I say no and I would not consider a WSM a howitzer.

I love my Creedmoor and its the most accurate rifle that I own but ill advise against it for everyday elk hunting, it will work but there are better choices especially if the op already owns an alternative.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

I'm talking about the people who say you can't kill elk efficiently at long range with anything less than a RUM or Lapua....

.300 WSM is not a howitzer, I was simply commenting...I wasn't talking any of the calibers mentioned in here.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 AM

built a 260 rem. for my recoil shy son, on a 98 maus. 25" clerke bbl. .695 at the muzzle. shooting 140gr. speer GS flt.base at 2710, he drew a cow tag for the valle vidal in New Mexico, hit a cow alittle low behind the heart she dropped in her tracks at 125yds. the herd took off and she got up went about 25 or 30 yds. one more thru the rt. ham going straight away she piled up . I looked for that bullet because thats what I do, it penetrated a paunch full of grass found the jacket at the mouth of the stomach and the lead in her neck. inspite of so called bullet failure that was the deadest elk in the valle that day. some 40"+ of penetration, now if you want to shoot Loooong Range then by all means use the boomers, but liveing it is a long way from theoretical! that bullet went thru a mess of tissue and quite frankly I was amazed. I would not hesitate to "HUNT" with that set up out to 600 yds. again key word HUNT spot and stalk. the 260 is not that much different than the 6.5cm. thanks for putting up with my rant guys. shoot what your confident and proficint with, can't go wrong.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm talking about the people who say you can't kill elk efficiently at long range with anything less than a RUM or Lapua....

.300 WSM is not a howitzer, I was simply commenting...I wasn't talking any of the calibers mentioned in here.
I agree that most folks tend to think they need to be overgunned for elk and I would rather guide a shooter with a mid size cartridge capable of 1.5 MOA in the field than one with a t-Rex killer hoping to hit the barn door cause they are flinching so much from the muzzle blast of the M8B6 super fat boy 11* ported muzzle diffuser.......... no offense meant by reference to the WSM and a howitzer...........