Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

anybody using Sierra MK bullets for game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 07:41 PM

anybody using Sierra MK bullets for game

Just want to get an idea of what they do as far penatration on game and such.
the game would be coyotes with a 22-250 and the 52gr matchkings out to 400yds
Old 08-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: anybody using Sierra MK bullets for game

Matchkings work well.

DC
Old 08-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Darryl-

You sound worn out... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2002, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Gary

I'd need to agree, that is the shortest post I believe I've ever seen from Darryl.

Baby Boy

Yes, MatchKings work fine.

In a society looking for an instant culprit/scapegoat when things go wrong, the MatchKing gets pointed to with some regularity. It's a fine bullet for game and will work well but it can't make up for shooter error, a bad shot is going to cause a problem no matter the bullet.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Hello All

As a a matter of fact, I am a bit worn out with a back that is giving me problems and trying to finish our 16 issue Williamsport newsletter before the printing time. Add that to spending the weekend at the range, shooting in two rifle classes in 95 degree heat has worn DC out a bit.

I think the reason I put such a short reply to the question was, the Matchking debate has been running, it seems, forever.

I will say "again", Matchkings work on ANY animal I have ever used them on from 100 yards to 2100 yards. From the size of Woodchucks to elk. Good penitration and exit wounds always on the size animals I have hunted.

Would I use them on extremely heavy Dangerous African animals----NO.

OK---I'm back to form now guy's.

Later
DC
Old 08-06-2002, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Forgive me if I seem to Argue for just a minute Darryl. But if Baby Boy is wanting so save the hides on those coyotes, Matchkings are not much good at all. As you pointed out, they leave fair sized exit wounds. So if you want to save the fur, and don't like sewing, a nice 50-55 grain hollow point works much better at the ranges he is wanting to shoot. I've found the MK to work well at longer ranges on coyotes, but short to midranges, I'd avoid them.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Tim

I didn't know he was saving the hides as he never mentioned that. I guess I should have known.

If I were trying to save hides, I wouldn't use a bullet that expanded much at all. I would pick one that just punched a small entrance hole and one that exited the other side about the same size.
A 50 or 55 gr "HP" would surely expand, and exit with a much bigger exit hole then the entrance on a small animal such as a coyote.
"If" it blew up INSIDE and never exited you would be fine. Any I have shot always exited the far side though.

For pure killing power on any game (Not saving hides)I have killed, Match Kings are tops "for me." I compared his 22/250 (to a degree) to my Swift.

Later
DC