Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anybody still Moly coating bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: Anybody still Moly coating bullets

Moly coating is a mess. The fine silver gray powder even makes it dirty to just reload. so I tell all my buddys to bring all their bullets over and I do 100's upon 100's over a period of days.

Yes, a smart person would probalbly have a dedicated tumbler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Then you wouldn't have to think about blowing it down with air and wiping it all out.

The moly coating works just as advertised. I had years of documented chronographed reloading data. Then moly coat a round and it looses @ 50 fps. It takes a up to few grain more powder to get the FPS back. These are also on the edge rounds with acceptable case life
Old 09-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Gold Member

Budlight, Are you using the carnuba wax on your moly bullets after tumbling? I use a vibrator type cleaner with plastic beads and the moly. Got the info from a high power buddy of mine. Not sure its worth the effort for hunting, but sure is supposed to help in high volume varminting and competition shooting.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Gold Member

The moly kits I bought has a blended mixture including the Carnuba wax.

I shoot 1000's of rounds a year and I also noticed less barrel heat at the ranges or out prarrie poodle hunting where you have to be rotating through at least three guns to keep a high rate of fire up.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I still moly coat all my SBT's in a media tumbler. It increases the BC. It tumbles the bullets point into a needle shape. Now some people will say that a super sonic bullet that it doesn't matter even if it was a hollow point because of the shock wave is out in front. These needle point bullets have less drop on paper at long ranges. So thy must have higher BC after the transition.

How
I don't think an icreased BC has much to do with the meplats being tumbled into a needle points. I have coated thousands of bullets and never seen that happen . However what does happen is that the moly coating in the bore allows the jacket of the bullet to pass with less lands engraving and no extrusion of copper off the end of the bullet on a flat base . What happens is a slight burr of copper is gouged out along the bullet and it extends past the base of the bullet to some degree . Combine that with the deeper lands engraving and it affects the potential BC. the Moly reduces this affect and decreases the bullets total drag. Has less efect on a smooth transition boat tail and more effect on a rebated boat tail.
You can prove this quite easily by pushing uncoated flat base bullets through an uncoated bore with a steel rod and inspect them. Then push a molyed bullet through a bore that has been shooting moly for some time and inspect it . You will see some differences in the two bullets. However under the obturation pressure of firing a bullet the differences are more dramatic than just pushing them through .
Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
The moly kits I bought has a blended mixture including the Carnuba wax.

I shoot 1000's of rounds a year and I also noticed less barrel heat at the ranges or out prarrie poodle hunting where you have to be rotating through at least three guns to keep a high rate of fire up.
The Carnuba wax is just there to reduce color changes to the bullet caused by the jacket oxidizing slightly under the moly coating. In a long storage situation the bullet could come out looking a little odd without a protective coating. If you coat your own and use them fairly quickly no Carnuba wax is required . If the coating is done properly in stages and the last tumble done with no extra moly the coating should not come off on your fingers at all with reasonable handling care. The problem with moly is that it is so easy to get some kind of coating even with the most crap process but only a good process gets top results .