Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Not trying to start another ******* match, but just how is the 7mm not as good as the .30 caliber. The 7mm has a flatter trajectory, higher BC, and better wind deflection than the .30 caliber projectile of equal mass (weight)...

As far as accuracy is concerned, the Berger 7mm 180 VLD will be better at long range than a .30 Berger 185 VLD...If you compare grain-for-grain...

I'm serious, I want to know how it is not as good.

I'm not trying to be difficult, or "trolling" for reactions. I'm on a serious level now.

I think it's worth the discussion, since everyone wants to discredit the 7mm calibers in here.

Keep in mind, I do own .30 caliber rifles as well, so I don't dislike either one.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
Wow, that sure makes a strong point for an edge.

How would recoil be in a 14-15 lb edge with a ported type break be? I have ordered CSR muscle break already for the build.

If possible how would it compare to 11 lb 270 wsm with no break @ max loads shooting 140 gr pills?
I think I can give you a good idea, two of my favorite rounds are a 270 WSM and a 338 RUM and I have Muscle brakes on both, the RUM is pushing a 300gr bullet 2800fps and it's just shy of 13 lbs and the WSM will push a 140 3350fps and it's either 10lbs or 14 lbs depending on which barrel and stock I have on it.
The 338 RUM still give you a shove but it's sweet to shoot because it's not sharp and a guy can burn some ammo, if I take the brake of the WSM it's recoil is sharp and I'd say less comfortable to shoot than the RUM but it's braked usually as well and then it's a pussy cat.

Just my opinion but if you want something that will step up from your 270 WSM noticeably and compliment it build a 338 Edge or similar, I'm shooting the 165's from my 270 WSM and it'll take apart anything I put it on out to 1000-1100 yards and then if it's blowing hard or I'm wanting to do something with authority I pull the big gun, the two videos contrasted above really tells the story of why so many of use also have a big stick we can pull

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Not trying to start another ******* match, but just how is the 7mm not as good as the .30 caliber. The 7mm has a flatter trajectory, higher BC, and better wind deflection than the .30 caliber projectile of equal mass (weight)...

As far as accuracy is concerned, the Berger 7mm 180 VLD will be better at long range than a .30 Berger 185 VLD...If you compare grain-for-grain...

I'm not trying to be difficult, or "trolling" for reactions. I'm on a serious level now.

I think it's worth the discussion, since everyone wants to discredit the 7mm calibers in here.

Keep in mind, I do own .30 caliber rifles as well, so I don't dislike either one.

What I want to know is why would anyone compare the heavier end offering of one caliber to the lighter offering of another? Pull out the limits of the weight and compare best BC offerings and weight to best BC offerings to weight for each caliber. Then you will not be able to claim better BC, or energy for the smaller caliber by imposed limits. Why handicap either caliber? Load them up and let them shine with whatever they have to bring to the table. No limiting rules, just facts.

The best day of my life was when I graduated from bracket handicapped drag racing to heads up pro tree. Some of the best racing we did was the quick eights on a Saturday night. We had one rule, " Run What Ya Brung, and Hope You Brung Enough."

Jeff
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I am not disdaining the 7mm bore, i just built a 284 win for 1k DEER/ANTELOPE and for 600 yards MAX ELK. I feel if you step up to the 7mm-300 win and up category then 1000 yards for elk is is doable, marginal still, but doable. A 300 win mag and up is great for elk at 100 yards and deer to about 1250 IMO, and a 338 Lapua/edge sized case or bigger is great for Elk out to about 1300 yards and deer 1500. But a 338 edge +p (or terminator +p) and up would be awesome for elk out to around a mile and deer about the same. Some have the skills to shoot at game farther than that but i certainly dont. And if you shoot game with the cartridges above farther than i listed, then kudos to you, i think these ranges give a general idea for max distances using high BC bullets.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

This reminds or the ricer vs V8 argument in the car world: "my 2.5 L 4 cly motor makes 100 hp / liter of displacement, your 6.0 v8 only makes 60 hp / L so my 4 cly better."

The fact that one is making nearly twice the power and blows the doors off the other doesn't seem to matter in this line of thinking..
Completely different, but I think the argument carries. I'm not calling you or a 7 a "ricer" caliber, but bigger is generally better in some things in all out performance. It may not be as efficient and there may be a trade off in other areas, but in terms of raw performance and energy delivered down range a 338 will beat an 8 mm will beat a 300 will beat a 7 mm if each is being pushed to their limits.

And that is why I like my cars with v8's and turbos.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
What I want to know is why would anyone compare the heavier end offering of one caliber to the lighter offering of another? Pull out the limits of the weight and compare best BC offerings and weight to best BC offerings to weight for each caliber. Then you will not be able to claim better BC, or energy for the smaller caliber by imposed limits. Why handicap either caliber? Load them up and let them shine with whatever they have to bring to the table. No limiting rules, just facts.

The best day of my life was when I graduated from bracket handicapped drag racing to heads up pro tree. Some of the best racing we did was the quick eights on a Saturday night. We had one rule, " Run What Ya Brung, and Hope You Brung Enough.

Jeff
This has always been my thought, compairing grain for grain doesn't tell the full potential of a round. The 2 might b equal in weight, but are not equivalent, as one taps the fullest entail of a caliber, and the other does nt.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
This reminds or the ricer vs V8 argument in the car world: "my 2.5 L 4 cly motor makes 100 hp / liter of displacement, your v8 only makes 6.0 L v8 only makes 60 hp / L so it is better."

The fact that one blows the doors off the other doesn't seem to matter in this line of thinking..
Completely different, but I think the argument carries. I'm not calling you or a 7 a "ricer" caliber, but bigger is generally better in some things. It may not be as efficient and there may be a trade off in other areas, but in terms of raw performance and energy delivered down range a 338 will beat an 8 mm will beat a 300 will beat a 7 mm if each is being pushed to their limits.
AMEN to that!!!

But but but if we pull 4 of your plug wires then the ricer will be better then your v8.