Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,869
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

I made my comments, as rhetorical.....Not intending for people to try to disprove MY opinions. Because everyone has their own opinions, but facts are facts.

Now. Since you seem to think I posted intending to ruffle feathers, you are wrong. I was posting my opinion. Therefore now that I have said that. I am done. No need for any nasty PM's or any lynch mobbing of me...
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
You are right about the shot placement, and who said i was pissed? I just asked you a simple question... Lets see what others have to think of the 338 Lapua sized cartridges on game, dont be shy guys. I love my 338 Lapua and the affect it has on game.
Yup, a poor shot is a poor shot, whether it's from a 223, 7mm or 338.
and a good shot from a 338 is better than a poor shot from a.... fill in the blank

I didn't think you were pissed either and it was a good question. I bet that Lapua is a real LR hammer! No such thing as overkill, but underkill can make for a very long day and bad experience.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,494
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Overbore magnums are, IMO, not for hunting.
The 7 STW is an over bore magnum there rock star
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 575
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Caribou aren't really that big of an animal, nowhere near the size of a bull elk and elk is where the 338's shine. To say a 338 lapua is too much cartridge is like saying a 300 rum is too much also. All the bigger cartridges do is extend the good kill range. The 338 win mag has been dropping elk and brown bears for years and does it well because of the range of shots taken with it, less than 300 yards. Add some more powder capacity and you have a cartridge capable of making clean kills at double the range. Make a perfect shot with most any caliber and the results are usually good, but make a less that perfect shot with a marginal caliber and the results usually end up in lost game. If I was going to limit my longest shot to 600 yards on elk, I would still shoot my 338 rum. I believe in quick humane kills. This comes with lots of experience and plenty of kills with 30*06 7mm mag and 300 rum. The 300 kills great, but all of my elk have been taken with my 338. I once shot a very nice black bear cross canyon with a 160 grain partition from my 7mm mag at about 500 plus yards. Dropped him like a rock as I watched him bite his shoulder where the bullet hit. He rolled for 200 yards down a steep hill. When I got to where I had last seen him, he was gone with no blood trail. Later that year I killed a large black bear at less than 150 yards with the final shot going through the boiler room from my 7mag. I recovered the 160 gr partition in the chest cavity, it never touched a rib on the off side. This was a 500 pound plus bear that sucked up 3 hard hits and almost got away. At that point I bought a 338 and never looked back.
When you live in elk country, you will here of good shots being made with small cartridges and sometimes they work and sometimes the elk runs off to die miles away. I have seen and heard of it many times and many times the fault isn't the caliber, but the bullet and failing to perform the way it should and this can happen with any caliber. I have personally witnessed bad hits from a 300 weatherby that made a cow elk sick but didn't put her down with a bullet that didn't fully penetrate and didn't do much internal damage, luckily I was able to track her down for my friend and finish her off. Big animals need lots of trauma to effectively put them down. I am really impressed with how much trauma berger bullets do to animals, with these types of projectiles, smaller calibers have a better chance of making quick clean kills and when you have lots of DRT kills on big elk, it trumps the theory and on paper ballistics. Broz has good solid data backing up his 300 win as an excellent killer, however he is getting some pretty impressive velocities that not all people will get with a 300 win and when you drop the velocities down to the more common numbers, the results aren't quite as good in my opinion.

That being said, I know a guy from Casper that has killed many animals from many different continents all with his trusty 30-06, using different bullets for the game he was pursuing. One time while elk hunting I told him the canyon I was going to hunt and he told me he called that canyon long shot and that he wouldn't shoot a bull there because he had shot a bull in the shoulder and the bullet from his 06 failed to penetrate the shoulder blade. That canyon was only 400 yards across. I asked him if he ever felt under gunned while using his 06 and he told me that while on a Kodiak bear hunt in alaska he was charged by a 10 foot man eater Kodiak, he was shooting 220 grain bullets and put 7 bullets into the charging bear. It dropped within several feet of where he stood and he told me in hind sight he wished he had a bigger gun.
__________________
Remington model 700 300 RUM LH 26" rem ss/blued receiver lam stock 215 Berger @3025/180 NAB @3300
Remington model 700 338 RUM LH 27" Broughton 5C 225NAB@3300 /300gr Berger@2830
Savage LH 22-250
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,869
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The 7 STW is an over bore magnum there rock star
Bore has to do with diameter. The 7mmSTW is a speed magnum, designed for long-range hunting with high BC bullets and a super-flat trajectory. It's not designed for shooting through redwoods and still killing your target. LOL

Maybe I used the wrong terminology....Should have said "overkill"....and yes, I was getting Caribou and Elk confused, as we have neither one down here in my neck of the woods....My bad.

Also, I do think the RUMs are overkill.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central,Texas
Posts: 479
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

But the comment about a well-placed small caliber being more deadly than a poorly placed large caliber, is about the truth, if you've ever made a perfect shot right in the pumpstation before. You shoot....They fall right over. You can do that with a .22-250....Doesn't have to be the hammer of Thor to do such a thing.
I agree with this comment but how many times does someone
execute a heart shot at long range. No one can dope the wind
perfect everytime.

I think Kirby said it best.

"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
__________________
" Long distance shooting is an art, often meaning something you have mastered through innate aptitude or long range practice versus a simple application of science" .................Jeff Hoffman
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,895
Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Overbore magnums are, IMO, not for hunting. .338 Lapua is just too much gun to hunt ANYTHING in N or S America. Unless you're hunting in Africa, you don't need something over .30 caliber.
So please tell me exactly how many elk and how many moose you have killed?

And to be clear, I am not saying they can't be taken with a smaller caliber, but I have personally seen the difference in these kills many times. So I would like to hear where you draw this knowledge you have obtained?

Further more, I find it interesting how "if the 7 STW is the perfect long range round", why haven't I ever encountered at least one out here in the west where elk and long range are both common? Coincidence? ? I really like a good 7mm, that is, within their limits. But I see far more hunters out here opting to go to a 338 than put down their 300 for a 7. Are they all wrong? It seems many times all this 7mm internet hype comes from people that really do not actually shoot big game that far away. Many have never even elk hunted but still seem to know what we should use.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC