Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

I am leaning towards an edge with a 29" sendero contour and a CSR 4 port muscle break (already have it) hopefully around 14 lbs decked out with a nightforce.

One of the deciding factors for me is barrel life. I would feel comfortable with a 300 rum (or STW) doing everything I would ever ask of it, but I like the longer barrel life of the 338 -not to mention the ballistic advantages, especially if I ever want to really stretch it out.

Really my biggest concern with my choice is how I will handle the recoil. If I develop a flinch I won't enjoy shooting it and it will sit in the safe.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm talking about everyone who shoots a .30 cal or larger seems to think it is somehow way better than the smaller cartridges, just because it shoots a larger diameter bullet. It took a while for me to help my buddy (the one with the .300 WM) realize this. But after seeing how finnicky his rifle is, and how capable mine are, he is starting to realize that the world revolves around all calibers, and not just the .300 WM, like he had thought before.

I wasn't talking about just you man, so don't take things so personal. I was just making a generalized statement.

I don't think that comparing only two rifles (yours & your buddies) quantifies as a indisputable proof/evidence. The 300WM has the popularity base it has BECAUSE of it's generally easy going traits. General consensus is that the WM is very forgiving & easy to load for, maybe your buddy got a lemon? The STW is a fantastic cartridge (minus the lack of quality brass) & I personally would be happy to have one. But, when adding the big fuzzy wuzzies to the equation, there is no replacement for displacement.

There are gentlemen on this board that see more elk taken at long range every year than most of us will take in a decade. I believe we can all agree on what caliber they use the least, & that is 7mm.

I'm not thrashing the STW or 7mm believe it or not. Just making the point that when Long Range Elk comes into the equation, there are better choices & those choices have been outlined throughout this forum Time & Time again; that choice is nearly unanimous in starting at the 30 cal magnums & going UP from there.

t

Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
I am leaning towards an edge with a 29" sendero contour and a CSR 4 port muscle break (already have it) hopefully around 14 lbs decked out with a nightforce.

One of the deciding factors for me is barrel life. I would feel comfortable with a 300 rum (or STW) doing everything I would ever ask of it, but I like the longer barrel life of the 338 -not to mention the ballistic advantages, especially if I ever want to really stretch it out.

Really my biggest concern with my choice is how I will handle the recoil. If I develop a flinch I won't enjoy shooting it and it will sit in the safe.
My .375 H&H weighs right around 11.5 lbs scoped and fully loaded. With 300g bullets, it rocks me pretty good, but it's not abusive by any means.

Admittedly, I have never fired any of the larger cased .338's, but I would have to think that firing similar weight bullets with about 20% more powder, in a rifle three pounds heavier AND with a muzzle brake, wouldn't be too hard on you if you use good hearing protection.

One thing I do like about my .375 is that it is well balanced enough that it doesn't feel heavy. I don't know exactly how to accomplish this, but given the weight that you plan on toting around, it may be worthwhile to pay attention to how your rifle balances. That will make it much more pleasant to carry and shoot.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Physics 101
More blood will pour through a big hole than a small one.
A heavy object hits harder than a lighter object traveling at the same speed.
A heavy object drifts less in a breeze than a lighter object of the same mass.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post

I think you'll be very happy with that. I'm putting the same brake on my 300 RUM. It should be very pleasant to shoot.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
Physics 101
More blood will pour through a big hole than a small one.
A heavy object hits harder than a lighter object traveling at the same speed.
A heavy object drifts less in a breeze than a lighter object of the same mass.
Not true if the lighter object is more aerodynamic (same or longer, with slimmer profile), but weighs less, they should be about equal on the playing field in that aspect. If you take a 180gr 7mm and a 185gr .308 caliber and follow trajectory the 7mm will win every time, b/c it is more aerodynamic and ballistically superior. The .308 might leave a bigger hole, but if it has more wind drift, doesn't shot-placement have an effect on how much the animal bleeds? Location, location, location...

Once again, not saying anything is better, I am pointing out that everything has its pros and cons, and is not so cut and dried as "bigger is always better".

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Not true if the lighter object is more aerodynamic (same or longer, with slimmer profile), but weighs less, they should be about equal on the playing field in that aspect. If you take a 180gr 7mm and a 185gr .308 caliber and follow trajectory the 7mm will win every time, b/c it is more aerodynamic and ballistically superior. The .308 might leave a bigger hole, but if it has more wind drift, doesn't shot-placement have an effect on how much the animal bleeds? Location, location, location...

Once again, not saying anything is better, I am pointing out that everything has its pros and cons, and is not so cut and dried as "bigger is always better".
I said nothing about caliber or diameter. Exampe; 2 bullet s of equal demintions but one isheaver due to the material used, like say lead as apposed to copper.

YOUR QUOTE SAY'A LOT