Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Recoil is not an issue for me. I have shot an early model (un-braked) Barrett .50 BMG before, which will push you back 6" from where you touched it off at...And I'm NOT a small guy at all. Recoil is definitely not an issue for me. For others it might be.

What makes you so certain I'm a keyboard commando? How do you know you're not the one being the commando here? You sure seem to dissuade the 7mm on all accounts and in general, compared to everything smaller than the .30 caliber. Please give me factual evidence, instead of calling names and casting stones... I don't give a crap what you say your kid does with your .338 Edge. Show me factual evidence that the 7mm's are, as you are portraying them, worthless....

I'm not saying they're better than the .338's for long range, I just want to see how you can completely dismiss a blatently obvious contender in the long-range game.

Is it as good on large game @ 1,000+....Most likely not, but it still has it's place.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You have a reading comprehension problem and It's a real PITA. You did this with me in your post #101 and numerous other replies to my posts which you completely misrepresnted. Highridge did NOT say the 7's are worthless nor did he completely dismiss them.

Anytime someone says something you don't like about a bullet or a rifle or whatever that is your baby you over react like someone was talking trash about your sister. Get over it already or take it somewhere else. It's a real PITA and it's getting real old.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Here is a pic of my .338LM. It has a total of 6 round through it at the moment. When I get back from Afghanistan I intend on putting a few more down range. Rifle weighs 22lbs and has a muzzle brake.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Anybody regret NOT going 338?-338lm.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Good lookin rig....Nice looking shotty.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Nice table,gun aint bad either love the 338.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

7mm are great, but they cannot be compared to .338's. They are fun to shoot and definately have their place, and for the recoil they have tremendous ballistics.
.338's are a better long range hunting round for heavy game (not whitetail deer or hogs).

Its like watching a heavywieght boxer fight a midlle wieght. both bring something impressive to the table, but I can tell you whose hand will be raised at the end of the night 9 times out of 10.

I have very few rifles, but I have a 7mm and a .338. They both have their place.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

I shoot with a guy that can clean my slate most days outpast 1k, when i was shooting my 260 and they was shooting a 7wsm .When he rebarreled to a 260 as well, the gap narrowed .(he is still a better shot) When my 338rum arrived. and i got some loads worked up it leveled the playing field. if he went with a 338 there is no dought he would clean my slate again. Why? the.818 bc beats the hell out of a 500 bc bullet any day there is so much as a nat fart in the air between you and your target. With that being said I shoot my 260 5 times as much as i do the 338. Why (1) cost (2)more enjoyable for me and the folks around me (3). It is less forgiving than the 338 @ long range and that hones my shooting skills and wind doping ability
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

I'll take a 1/2 MOA 7mm with a G1 of .67 or greater, single digit SD, 3200+ MV over a 338 3/4 +MOA, .818 BC, double digit SD, 2800 MV for hunting big game with ranges between 700-1100 anyday. With precision and MVV being about equal the 338 will end up in my hands the vast majority of time even on medium sized game.