Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

X, that's a good quote. My grandfather always said, "Beware of the man who only has 1 gun, 'cause chances are he knows how to use it..."

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

If we were comparing heaviest for caliber with highest bc wouldn't it only be fair to use the 190gr matrix 7mm with a bc of .807. It wouldnt change the outcome much but that is the heaviest for the 7mm that I am aware of.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

i think alot of the thinking and therefore the problem lies in the fact that many
people know by what they read. watching them fly across wide valleys and smash into a distant hillside brings about a totaly different perspective. i am a
show me type individual. i dont jump to conclusions about anything without
seeing it first. i dont own nor have i ever read brian litz,s books or any others.
about 15 and maybe more years ago we met up with bruce baer and a couple buddies while deer hunting. they had a 338x416 with them and i had a 36"
30x378. i was pushing a 200 smk at about 3500 fps. anyway since we werent seeing any deer to shoot at the idea emerged about seeing this 338 shoot.
there was a rockledge over there i had shot at many times at 1480 yds.
well to get right to the nuts and bolts part he whipped my ass bad. not only did he get there with less elevation his was decidedly more consistant. for those of you who are saying well you should have been using a 240 smk ill answer by saying you never did the comparison by shooting at 1500 did you.
put down the book and go shoot. its like checking out the rice burners with live ammo.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 AM

I bought a .338LM for various reasons. Probably not the best reason, but I wanted to have something that I knew I wouldn't soon grow out of or catch myself 'wishing' or 'wondering' if I should have gone with the larger caliber. How many times have we all done that? Maybe not specifically with rifles but with other toys such as 4 wheelers, boats, and what not...I know I have. I'm definitely impressed by the .338LM ability to put the smack down on larger game at great distance (at least what I've read), but I'm equally interested in whay else I can do with a .338LM.

I've read many posts stating the .338LM is too much gun for N/S American game, but I wonder if as much study has been done regarding tuning the .338LM for lighter loads? What performance related comments would there be when comparing a 160gr .338 bullet or a 300gr .338 bullet?

Biggest downside I have with my specific rifle is the weight and the cost of the ammo. It wouldn't be hard to shoot up a mortgage payment with 1 sitting at a range if your shoulder could take the punishment.

I grew up in western Montana and have a close friend who still lives there. I remember when we were young boys out hunting and watching a heard of elk trot along a far ridge (seemed the story of our lives at that time), my friend said "wouldn't it be cool if we had a rifle that could bag an elk that far away?". After some time at the range over the next year or so, I'm hoping that I can answer that question with conviction....YES IT IS!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey now, I hate imports, too. LOL but the 7mmSTW is like the Lambo and the .338 Lapua is like the GTSR Viper.....Both will go 230, but the Lambo will get there faster...
So that would make the 7 RUM like a Formula One car then I guess...faster than the STW. And I would say the .338 is more like a Monster Truck that can go 230mph as well! Get there quick and once it does, it will run your ***** over!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
Thanks for the well thought out reply.

Everyone has a different idea of what long range is and what sort of hunting rifle best suites their hunting style/terrain. A lighter caliber for a lighter rifle was sort of where I was going.The lighter rig being more mobile not more accurate/stable.

Your 12 pound rig is exactly the route chosen by my good buddy. Not a bad set up at all.

Your disdain for the 7mm and assorted "pea shooters" is understood.
At one time I had no use for such calibers either, but with modern high performance controlled expansion bullets they are sure death within their respective expansion range. For me the jury is still out on a 7mm Berger at 3500fps (for instance) at 25 yards, but that is just me. I too prefer a bit more horsepower latitude on game such as elk.

If you don't feel a rifle or caliber then you will not be confident in it and should not use it.
Beware of the man that is confident in the same rifle...He might just surprise you!
I don't disdain 7mm's. I hunted with a 7 RM for many years and took a lot of game with it. It just isn't my first choice in LR elk rifle. If it was all I had, I would use it out to what I considered it's max effective range. I just prefer the RUM because it has more punch. The 7 STW (I prefer the 7 Dakota) is very capable of taking an elk @ 1000 yds. The RUM increases the odds.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
So that would make the 7 RUM like a Formula One car then I guess...faster than the STW. And I would say the .338 is more like a Monster Truck that can go 230mph as well! Get there quick and once it does, it will run your ***** over!
Not really....The 7RUM is only about 1.2-3% faster (which averages about 61 fps) than the STW and uses a 12-14% powder increase. It might be like a turbo'd Lambo...Just slightly faster than a naturally aspirated one...

As for the monster truck (.338) analogy, I would say that's a fairly good one.

These are numbers that have been crunched by one of our own.

Why 7STW over 7RUM?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.