Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Anybody regret NOT going 338?

I'm in the process of ordering parts for a semi custom build.
This build is intended to be the biggest baddest gun in the safe.

With my current abilities and the time I have for practice I doubt I would ever attempt to take game at 1,000 yards, but I would like the gun to be capable of doing so.

So, with an absolute max of 1000 yards, on lets say elk to be aggressive, is something in the Edge / Lapua category really necessary?

Or would something with slightly less recoil and cheaper to shoot, say 7 STW or be enough for this kind of build?

How is barrel life of these smaller "ultra" magnums in the 7mm - .300 range.

I initially was trying to decide between Edge and Lapua (think I prefer Edge of the 2), but am now second guessing myself as to whether or not a 338 is totally overkill. I already have a 270 WSM that shoots very well, and want a marked stup up from that.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anybody regret NOT going 338?

If you are NOT going past 1000 , and with the explanation you just posted, Go with a 28" barreled , Sendero contoured, 300 win. With a 210 to 230 bullet and be done with it. The BC's and energy of this round will do all you want. Add a good brake and enjoy watching your hits and recoil that is un-noticed.

I just took a lady out to shoot mine that had never shot long range, she is a hunter but never shot long. There was an orange sized white spot on a rock wall at 780 yards. She hit the edge of it cold bore. Then I took her to a rock wall at 954 yards and a dark spot under 1/2 moa. She center punched it on her first shot.

All you asked for in your post above is there in the 300 win mag. and the ammo, brass, bullet selection is awesome.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
I'm in the process of ordering parts for a semi custom build.
This build is intended to be the biggest baddest gun in the safe.

With my current abilities and the time I have for practice I doubt I would ever attempt to take game at 1,000 yards, but I would like the gun to be capable of doing so.

So, with an absolute max of 1000 yards, on lets say elk to be aggressive, is something in the Edge / Lapua category really necessary?

Or would something with slightly less recoil and cheaper to shoot, say 7 STW or be enough for this kind of build?

How is barrel life of these smaller "ultra" magnums in the 7mm - .300 range.

I initially was trying to decide between Edge and Lapua (think I prefer Edge of the 2), but am now second guessing myself as to whether or not a 338 is totally overkill. I already have a 270 WSM that shoots very well, and want a marked stup up from that.
The best advice I can give is to look at the ft/lbs of all the rifles you are thinking about and
consider 1200 ft/lbs minimum at the point of impact (1000 yards). This will tell you what
cartridges and bullet combinations will work.

There are lots of cartridges that will kill an Elk at 1,000 yards but how far will/can they run is the
problem. 1500 ft/lbs is the recommended minimum energy for Elk but 1200 will work good.

A 338 is not necessary but they hammer Large game. the big 300s will also do a good job and even
though they may have the same energy they don't transfer it as well (Bigger is Better in this aspect).

If I were to make a recommendation it would probably be something like the 300 RUM if you are
not constantly shooting/Hunting at or over 1000 yards.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

What jeff said. . .
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Well put jeff. I agree
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Silver Member

with you having a 270 wsm and knowing the game I have to say that the edge by no means would be a bad gun. They have recoil but what if.

What if you shoot 1000 yards and decided 2000 is your dream next.
What if you always have bulls coming out further than 1000. I am not disagreeing with jeff or anyone. Just I do like the edge and know people in this game push limits when one is broken.

All that being said I would go with the 300 win, 300 ultra, or the edge.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntthedistance View Post
with you having a 270 wsm and knowing the game I have to say that the edge by no means would be a bad gun. They have recoil but what if.

What if you shoot 1000 yards and decided 2000 is your dream next.
What if you always have bulls coming out further than 1000. I am not disagreeing with jeff or anyone. Just I do like the edge and know people in this game push limits when one is broken.

All that being said I would go with the 300 win, 300 ultra, or the edge.
Just to clarify, I agree, if going past 1000 go 338. That is why I used CAPS on the (NOT going past 1000) in my first line. My two favorite rifles are the 300 win and a good 338. My new .338 Terminator +P Is being built and I will have soon. If you even feel you would want to "shoot game" past 1000 go 338. But if you only feel that you may just practice past 1000 the 300 win with a 215 will keep you smiling to well past a mile.

Jeff