Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

any suggestions about a 300 wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Re: any suggestions about a 300 wsm

As of right now i have a 30 06 savage model 110 it was a gift.

I am not yet reloading but working in all the supply's right now and should have everything to start to reload in a month. and have my step dad to teach me i have done alt of looking into this gun and think it is my number one choice... i was also wondering if any one has any suggestions on a make and model? i was hoping on something under or around 1k .

As for my shooting ablity i can put 5 bullets in a 3-4 inch spread at 500 with my father in laws 308 i have not yet had the chance to go further... YET

Unread 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

If I was going to by an out of the box 300 WSM, I would get the Stainless Sub MOA Vanguard.

Vanguard® Sub-MOA Stainless | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

It has a good pillar bedded stock and the barreled action is made by Howa and they make a great action. Any bases and rings that fit the Rem 700 will fit the Howa actions. It comes with a factory shot tartget and your likely to get a .75 MOA rifle or better and with some load work you might get it down to 1/2 MOA or better. You can get them on Gunbroker for about $860 plus shipping. Alocal dealer would probably sell it to you for about $900.

You could get a Tikka for a little less but they have a cheap stock.

-MR
Unread 06-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a savage guy, so my choice would be the Mod 12 Low Profile Varminter

12 Series VarmintModel 12 Varminter Low Profile – with AccuTrigger
Action

Short
Caliber

300 WSM
Overall Length

46.25"
Barrel Length

26"
Weight

10 lbs
Magazine Capacity

4 rounds
Stock

Dual pillar bedded,low profile, laminated stock with extra-wide beavertail forend
Sights

Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist

300 WSM (1 in 10”)
Features

AccuTrigger™, oversized bolt handle, stainless barreled action, heavy fluted, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, detachable box magazine and swivel studs.

This one gives you the added bonus of the AccuStock

Model 16FHSS – with AccuTrigger™, AccuStock, and Hinged Floorplate

* Note: AccuStock™ included on 2009 or newer models only.
Action

300 WSMOverall Length

43.75" (300 WSM)
Barrel Length
24" (300 WSM)
Weight
6.75 lbs (270 WSM, 300 WSM)
Magazine
Capacity
2 rounds (300 WSM)
Stock
Black synthetic AccuStock™with aluminum spine and three-dimensional bedding cradle.
Sights

Drilled and tapped for scope mountsh
Rifling Rate of Twist

300 WSM

Features
AccuTrigger™, AccuStock™, stainless barreled action, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, new hinged floorplate, and swivel studs.

These would be my picks. I own two Savages and plan on buying more.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 06-22-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Wrong Model
Unread 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

As far as the most accurate rifle, spend an evening with this thread
most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

I'd get either a Remington 700 or a Savage (I'd personally lean toward the savage).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 06-24-2009, 05:32 AM

I took a look at all the guns and really am leaning towards the savage i am just not sure what model i would like to go with. i am not sure what the diffrence is between a 2 beaded and three is? and i am not sure what is better a wood stock or a syn. i want a to be dead on have a great action and trigger.

i think that link really helped. the only qustion i guess i really have left is which savage?
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

awesfall,

The laminate is a perfered material for bench shooters, except the guys that want the big heavy fiberglass stocks. The varmint model offers the laminate because it handles weather changes a little better than conventional straight wood stocks. It comes with a pillar in the rear and a pillar in the front giving you the standard mountings for best accuracy out of a box. The only thing that you could do to really improve and help with temp and humidity change is to glass bed the action. From experience with my rifle, the pillars do fine and my accuracy doesn't change from 30 degrees to 90 degrees with humidity. The only thing that I have to be aware of is my loads and powder sensitivity to temperature and humidity.

The varmint model would be the ideal set up if you plan on making the really long shots. It gives you a 26" heavy barrel that will offer the rigidity needed for stabilizing the heavier bullets for that long flight through the air. It will also help to keep the velocity up which is necessary for harder hits for ranges in that caliber past 700 yards.

The Mod. 16 is going to make a great mountain gun. Glass bedding isn't necessary with the new AccuStock design. It offers a full bedding system securing the action completely leaving the barrel free floating. They have already started putting it in their tatical models, and as time progresses I would imagine they will be putting them into their varminter series. With the 24" barrel will give you better manuverability through the brush and it comes in a lighter contour barrel making lighter by about 3 1/4 lbs. This will recoil more, but you could have a smith put a muzzle break on if the recoil is to much. For about $100's more they offer a model with an adjustable muzzle break. This allows you to have the break open with shooting at the range to tame recoil, and close it when you are hunting so you don't need ear protection. (You should always use ear protection when possible even in hunting situations) If works as well as my cousins did in 338 win mag. you won't have any recoil issues when you are on the bench.

The synthetic stock will give you the durability and ruggedness necessary for all weather conditions in the field. That is why tactical models have figerglass or some variation when being fielded. This material does not expand with temperature or humidity changes like wood will do. The only bad thing about Savage synthetics is they generally need upgraded. With the new AccuStock system that may not be the case anymore. If you can afford stainless steel that would be the way to go as well. Hope this helps in the decision making process!

Sorry to be so long winded, but I wanted to try and explain it the best that I could.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 06-24-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you very much for your time and i am greatful for all the feed back so thank s everybody