Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any Michigan Ground hog hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Silver Member
Re: Any Michigan Ground hog hunters

This time of year you are pretty much in hay fields. Get out of the Metro area and look for hay fields that have hills for backstops and not a lot of houses around them. You have some good rolling terrain up towards the Rochester area. Also look for creeks or ditches that run along or through soy bean fields. Chucks absolutely love beans. The best shooting is a little earlier when the beans are 1-3" tall and you can still see them as they devour the plants.

Good luck
"When working with the public, there are two things you need to remember. - 1. The public is a bunch of ignorant morons. - 2. YOU and I are one of them!"

Unread 08-30-2004, 05:22 AM
Bronze Member

I live in the Clarston/Ortonville area and theres a farmer 2 miles down from me that lets me shoot hogs and coyotes with my 22-250. I use my Yamaha Grizzly as a rest and shoot from the lane that divides his fields.

The only time you can't use a rifle in southern MI is during firearm deer season.

Spent thousands on long range gear only to take a mule deer at 128 yards.....
Unread 08-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

I second what was said ealier. Most farmers will let you shoot hogs on there property. Yes rifles are allowed for varmints in southern Michigan.

Unread 08-30-2004, 10:43 AM

Hey Ronnie

Any chance hookin up with a rookie and showin him the ropes.

Unread 08-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

You could come over but it will have to be in a couple weeks I am shooting the 1000 yard IBS nationals in Ohio this weekend and then Iowa 1000 yard match the weekend after. Or we could look for some in the week if that works for you I would be up for that.
Crow Mag
If you think something is not possible move out of the way so the ones that are doing it can
Unread 08-31-2004, 05:13 AM

Crow Mag

That would be awesome. A few weeks from now is perfect. This week is the early goose opener so I'll be doing that. This weekend I'm booked up with the wife [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Next weekend I have a wedding. Any other time I'm free. During the week only works if after 5:00 pm Not sure how far ya are from me.
drop an email and we can go from there Drop the XX to mail. Getting lots of spam lately
Let me know...Good luck at the match

[ 08-31-2004: Message edited by: lablover ]
Unread 03-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Gold Member
Michigan chucks.

Yup! all you need to do is talk to the farmers. look for farms with barns that have fallen..they are all over the place. last summer I had a shooting bench, I would set up and I was in hog heaven. 6 lactating females about 10lbs 4 BIG males and 7 pups. if you have one woulded and run into the hole they will stink up the hole and the chucks will come out another hole or they will start digging another. once you get established with a farmer they will expect you in the spring and if you are a good boy,, they will fill land owner tags for you.thats for deer son. I have 4 farms I hunt and this year I had no space for the deer in my freezer, I had to call family.
Keith Sage.