Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any Lazzeroni shooters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 05:15 PM

Any Lazzeroni shooters?

I am considering building up a tomahawk. The literature reads great. My bro has a warbird in a Sako and it is one bad dude. He shot an elk last year with 168 gr at 225 yards and it did not take another step. Through binos I swear I could see the shock waves going through the body of that elk. Lights out. Me, I am too much of a wuss to shoot the warbird. I like to shoot too much. The warbird will stake you in the ground like a tent post.

I would appreciate any feedback on the Lazz. calibers in the field and paper.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any Lazzeroni shooters?

I don't own one never have and never will. I have shot several guns chambered in these rounds and was never able to get anywhere close to their listed velocities with their ammo or sane handloads.
they don't offer anything more than several other rounds out their and the others are alot cheaper to own and shoot.

if you looking for a long range hammer then look no farther than a 300RUM or 338Edge.
any of the big 30 cals will put an elk down just as fast ans you saw assuming that the correct bulet is used.

I will say that the one Lazz built rifle I shot was very well built , I don't think it was $5000 worth but it was nice.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

I may be wrong but I believe you can not buy brass from Lazzeroni, only loaded ammo which is frightfully expensive.

JDJones is right, there are many cartridges based on widely available cases that will do what the Lazzeroni rounds claim to. Lazzeroni focuses on high muzzle velocity with fairly light bullets=lower BC=more wind drift and steeper trajectory at long range.

Get something based on a RUM case with a muzzle brake and you will be happy.

NRA Life Member
Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

I was really interested at one time.. Until I found this site. I suggest you speak with Kirby aka Fiftydriver on this site. He's a gunsmith who has his own line of cartridges. Lazzeroni is just way too expensive to own and shoot not to mention the cost of the rifles..

Kirby's cartridges are much better designed and his customer service is the best. He will talk to you and answer your questions. Unlike the Lazz the guys who were rude as hell.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

I second Kirby. Tell him what you want and he will point you the right way . Plus he makes great rifles. I looked for a long time till i found and picked him for my smith.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

A Warbird is not the only cartridge that smacks elk down. A 300 RUM with 200g AB at 3200fps is plenty enough to hammer an elk at 800 yards and knock him off his feet if you take the shoulder shot, as I do, I have seen it done plenty with my own eyes. I have seen elk shot with a lot less rifle, at a greater distance then your talking about, and "drop like a rock" without all the expense. I once thought Lazzeroni's were the baddest thing out there, till I found out about this site. Advertising gets the best of ya sometimes! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Had one in the Sako TRG-S, and got 3650fps with 168gr Barnes XLC. I sold it and got a 300RUM...I'm now getting within 100fps of the Warbird with 180gr bullets, so I'm satisfied as far as velocity goes, and now my components are a lot easier to come by and my gun (700 LSS) is not as finicky as the TRG-S was. Listen to the rest of the guys on here when they say that shooting the Lazzeroni isn't worth the money--brass is expensive, and very soft. Also, don't shoot the light bullets in the big magnums--they're meant to push the heavier, higher BC bullets faster and flatter. You'll have flatter trajectory past the 500 or 600yd mark than with the light, ultra-fast bullets. I seem to be the only one of any lazz shooters I know that was able to achieve the velocity that was advertised, and my brass seemed to hold up ok, but none of my friends' brass did. Bottom line in this ramble is that a Rem 700 platform with either a 7 RUM or 300 RUM will give you all you could ever want--especially a good action to throw a custom barrel on. Save your money and go with a RUM and a good scope--wish I would have done that to begin with.