Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any experience here with the 300 Short Action Ultra Mag (SAUM)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

Any experience here with the 300 Short Action Ultra Mag (SAUM)

I don't know anything about it. Noticed a Sendero on gunbroker in this caliber.

Any input appreciated,

Archer
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

Re: Any experience here with the 300 Short Action Ultra Mag (SAUM)

I've never shot it, but I'm looking at the same thing. Supposedly a near-equivalent to the 300 WSM, though not nearly as popular. Slightly shorter case, I'm told can fit into a 308 action wheras the 300 WSM is a little too long. Might be harder to get ammo in some locations, and brass might become a problem if the cartridge eventually peters out. This is what I've learned, but most here would know a lot more than me.

I'd rather have the WSM, but since I can't find a Sendero in that I'll probably get the SAUM and shoot that until the barrel is gone, then switch over.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

I have had a 7MM RSAUM for a couple of years now. It is an interesting cartridge. It is basically an oversized 7-08. Same case length with a magnum blotface. Ballistics are very similar to the 7MM WSM/7MM Remington mag/280/280 AI. The Remington brass seems a bit soft. Once you accept this and load accordingly everthing works fine.

Factory loaded ammo is non-existent in the retail stores where I live. That doesn't matter to me because I load my own. It has been pointed out that Remington is discontinuing the production of RSAUM firearms and that brass may be hard to come by at some point. I have not had any problems finiding brass though. If brass availability becomes a problem it can always be rechambered to 7MM WSM. As long as you are not loading max or over max loads the brass lasts a long time.

Personnally I would not shoot bullets heavier than 160s in the 7 MM RSAUM as they end up needing to be seated far into the case and use up the available powder volume.

The 7MM RSAUM has met all my expectations in accuracy and velocity. Being a short action cartridge it makes for a resasonably light carry rifle for short to medium range. It performs fine for what I need although a 7-08 or 7-08 AI would have also done everything I require of this rifle.

I have been considering rebarreling my 7MM RSAUM to 7MM WSM. At this point I really see no reason to. I have good dies for the 7MM RSAUM and have worked up loads that do everything a 7MM WSM can do with the same bullets. I can't see that there is anything to be gained by switching to WSM and having to buy new dies and develop new loads. One thing to note though is that the number of smiths with RSAUM reamers is limited, the WSM is far more popular.

I think everything I said above applies to the 300 RSAUM as well. It is just an oversized 308. If that is what you are looking for, go for it, there are probably some good deals on them now ...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Bronze Member

Just bought one also! Plan on rolling my own because ammo will be too difficult and too expensive to acquire. If things get really tough, I figure I can always rechamber for the wssm. The price some of these are going for was just too hard to pass up. Also heard that Gander Mountain is running a great sale on these but can't confirm at this time.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

How about one of these:
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7179982

Proven cartridge,quality brass available and you wont have to worry about the 300WM going by the way side.
I posted some links to this sellers other sendero auctions in 300 RUM,7mm RUM and 7 STW,but they got bought up pretty fast.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Bronze Member

That's not bad, but we've already purchased the saum.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I load for 2 identical rifles for a friend and my brother. They both seem to like their's just fine. I think they are handy little rifles and a 168 TSX has shown to be an ideal bullet and weight for the 300.

I think its popularity will continue to dwindle as the WSM has taken the lead.