Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any advantages to increase barrel length on WSM cartidges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Any advantages to increase barrel length on WSM cartidges?

Hello everyone!
I just purchased a new Tikka T3 Lite in .300 wsm to be my light weight mountain rifle for elk hunting. At the time of purchase I did not realize the this rifle has a 1:11 twist. I have been a big fan of the Nosler Accubond bullet over the last few years. I am concerned that this rifle with the current twist isn't going to stabilize the heavy bullet that I would like to run for elk hunting. So I spoke to my gun smith about rebarreling it to a 1:10 twist barrel. During our conversation I asked him about the benifits to a longer barrel with this caliber. It was his opinion that there really isn't a significant benifit to going much longer than the 24" barrel. I have a hard time buying this. My question is for you that are shooting the .300 wsm or any wsm caliber. Are you seeing significant benifit in a longer barrel for mid to long range hunting? Or will I be adding extra weight for nothing?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any advantages to increase barrel length on WSM cartridges?

When building a WSM, my starting barrel length is 24" (The minimum) with 26" being the recommended optimum length.

If you want to squeeze every ounce of speed from the heavy bullets 28" would be the most
barrel I would recommend.

With Lighter bullets (Less than 180 grain) there would not be much advantage in anything over 24"

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any advantages to increase barrel length on WSM cartidges?

The biggest factor in what efficiency you get out of your barrel is the type and speed of the powder you use which will have a lot to do with the bullet(s) you choose. RL17 is a fairly efficient powder for shorter barrels (like 24") and is a great powder in the 300 WSM for a fairly large range of bullet weights on the heavier end of the scale like 165 and up. You will surely see more efficiency and velocity with longer than a 24" barrel. How much, I'm not sure. But if I were to build another 300 WSM, I would go for at least a 26" barrel.

Now, if your priority is a good shooting short barrel (24") cartridge, the 300 WSM is a very good choice, especially with RL17.

In my factory 24 3/8ths barreled 300 WSM, I got 3200 fps with 180 E-Tips and 2930 fps with 210 LVD's using RL17. Very good velocities IMO. With another couple of inches, I could probably have got another 50 fps or so.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton View Post
Hello everyone!
I just purchased a new Tikka T3 Lite in .300 wsm to be my light weight mountain rifle for elk hunting. At the time of purchase I did not realize the this rifle has a 1:11 twist. I have been a big fan of the Nosler Accubond bullet over the last few years. I am concerned that this rifle with the current twist isn't going to stabilize the heavy bullet that I would like to run for elk hunting. So I spoke to my gun smith about rebarreling it to a 1:10 twist barrel. During our conversation I asked him about the benifits to a longer barrel with this caliber. It was his opinion that there really isn't a significant benifit to going much longer than the 24" barrel. I have a hard time buying this. My question is for you that are shooting the .300 wsm or any wsm caliber. Are you seeing significant benifit in a longer barrel for mid to long range hunting? Or will I be adding extra weight for nothing?
PB you only need a given volume space wise to burn a given amount of powder. Once you get near 100% burn additional barrel length is going to be of no benefit whatsoever.

As for the 1:11 twist rate 1:10 is generally preferred in .30 cal but at these velocities it might do.

The advantage to greater bbl length is that you can use slower powders to get additional velocity without pushing up chamber pressure.

Check the recommended twist rates for the bullets you are considering using. The Manufacturers generally list them on their websites and if not you can call them.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

From the responses so far it sounds like there is some benifit. My plan was to go to a 26" barrel. I am planning to shoot 180gr minimum. More likely 200gr accubonds. That is if the barrel likes the accubonds. I have never loaded for a wsm. So I guess playing around with different powders will be a must. I would like to load and try some Burger type bullets but with the magazine length on Tikkas this might be a problem with the heavier bullets and seating depths. Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

WildRose- Thanks for the response. Makes sense. With the Accubonds, Nosler recomends 1:10 for 180gr + . Based on this I figured most bullet manufacturers would recomend the same. This is the main reason for me to consider rebarreling this rifle.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

The heavier the bullet and slower the powder, the more benefit you will get from a longer barrel.

If you try to seat longer, heavier bullets to fit the mag, you're going to loose some case space and you'll be getting a big jump to the lands. That may or may not affect your accuracy.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams