Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any .338 Win mag users?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 04:12 AM

Any .338 Win mag users?

Hey guys.New here and my favorite caliber is the .338,I'm sure there are others so drop me a line.Kepp it cool,and in the 10 ring. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 06:23 AM

Re: Any .338 Win mag users?

Hi, Kyle:

I, too, have a .338 Win. Mag. and am interested in the responses you get.

This is also my first message on the board, so greetings to all. Looking to learn.

kk
Old 10-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Great cartridge! Perhaps one of the planet's most versatile but it may not really qualify for this forum. Bit much for a prairie dog I might add. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 06:43 PM

Kyle and KK I would like to buy a .338 Win Mag, but I am a little guy and a bit leary of the recoil. What rifles do yall have and what do you do about the recoil to make it more bearable?
Old 10-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Jon

Welcome to Long range Hunting.

There are several things to do to actually reduce recoil and to reduce "felt" recoil.

Recoil reducers are available and I've had a few installed, they work well but add weight to the rifle, they also change the ballance point.

Brakes also work but I already have a hearing loss and wear bilateral hearing aids and don't need to be completely deaf.

Examine your shooting method and see if you can change it to reduce the recoil effects. If you tense up and don't "ride" the recoil it seems much worse.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Hey.

I have a .338 with a break that I use for everything from blackbirds to elk. It's a lot of fun to shoot. It's a remington 700 SS-DM that I have pillar bedded, reworked the trigger to 2 pounds, lapped the rings, trued the action and rechambered. It wears a muzzle break that works really well, but I can't remember what it's called. It has two baffles on each side and nothing on the top and bottom. The sound goes straight out 90 degrees so it doesn't seem to bother people at the range, spotters or even animals at longe range when shooting from a hillside. They really don't seem to be able to tell where the sound is coming from. Darrel Holland has one that appears to be a copy except for the fact that it's shorter, fatter and has a port on the top.

I even have it switche barreled to a factory Rem 700 SS 7Mag barrel.

This rifle now shoots about .5 MOA with my handloads and Nolser BTs, but I just made a deal with Dan Lilja and have a couple of barrels coming my way. I just have to pick which calibre/twist to get and I will be rebarreling this one.

Go figure eh? Just when I get shooting great I play with it again. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Maybe I can squeeze another .25 out of it? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Any suggestions for what I should get? The detachable mag eliminates a lot of options...
Old 10-27-2002, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Jon,

FWIW, I have a buddy with a Shilen DGA-M in .338 Win. that weighs a bit over 8 lbs w/ McMillan stock. I've fired it several times and it has less felt recoil than my 30-30 Win. Trapper. NO JOKE! I'm a firm believer that the way you percieve recoil is almost completely related to stock design and this gun proves it for me. Shot a Win. 70 a few decades earlier in the same chambering(factory wood stock) and after two shots I had a headache that lasted three days. And I NEVER get headaches. Another example of this is my Belgian Cape Gun(w/ wood stock), the rifle side being .405 Win. which is close to the same power level as the .338. Wisp of a gun as many European weapons are, yet a total pussy cat to shoot. Composite stocks help a lot with recoil but proper design is the place to put your money.
.338 Win is a great hunting round, maybe the one that really deserves to be labled the 'all around cartridge for N. America.'