Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any 1000yd shooters who have NOT taken a class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: Any 1000yd shooters who have NOT taken a class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
I went into it blind and taught myself through trigger time and reading and last but not least this site has helped alot
Same here.
I have learned more about marksmanship from this site than anywhere else.

Quote:
Reason I ask is because my local membership range has 600-1000 yard targets but only deemed qualified folks get to use them.
I don't know your ranges setup, but it sounds like your local range people don't want newbies shooting over the targets hitting nearby people or property. I'm sure they just want conformation that you are competent enough not to cause a problem.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

Many ranges have rules requiring all bullets to impact the berm. This could be tough at 1000 shooting a 2 MOA 308 rifle loaded with 150 Gamekings topped with a non-turret scope. Open a range to anyone and those just wanting to have fun will try to hit that barn door or even happy with the whole barn at 1000.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you for the responses and advice.

I dug around and found the range rules:
Classes are by appointment on Tuesday mornings, so I'll need to find a time to ever do that.

...interested shooting member must attend a qualification class and demonstrate proficiency to use the ranges of 600 yards or more...
...shooter must demonstrate that he/she can hit an approved target safely, at the respective extended yard line ultimately hitting the berm behind the target...

I know I can do that. My hang up is that 300 yards is the longest range I have access to for practicing. What I'm gathering is that this goal can be met if I do my homework. I feel I will be able to study my bullet drop graphs and ballistic charts to make a safe impact at 600 yards. This will not happen tomorrow, please rest easy.

BTW here are my LR setups to pick from:

Savage .308 Win, 1/10" twist rate. Bushnell Elite 4.5-30X50 with ballistic turrets. I reload 168 gr. Nosler custom competition HPBT bullets

Browning 7mm Remington Mag, 1/10" twist rate. Swarovski Z3 2.5-12X50 with quick elevation turret. I reload 168gr. Berger VLD HPBT bullets

Weatherby .338-378 Wby, 1/10" twist . Gun came with a Leupold 2.5-8X36 so I'm in the process of glass shopping for it right now. I plan to use 225-250 grain factory ammo to sight in then reload in the future.

Which one will be the easiest to avoid looking like the noob who shot 300 yards forever then at 600 gets his ass handed to him by the high power director and/or RSO? I'm leaning towards the 7mm.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post

Classes are by appointment on Tuesday mornings, so I'll need to find a time to ever do that.

...interested shooting member must attend a qualification class and demonstrate proficiency to use the ranges of 600 yards or more...
...shooter must demonstrate that he/she can hit an approved target safely, at the respective extended yard line ultimately hitting the berm behind the target...

I know I can do that. My hang up is that 300 yards is the longest range I have access to for practicing. What I'm gathering is that this goal can be met if I do my homework. I feel I will be able to study my bullet drop graphs and ballistic charts to make a safe impact at 600 yards. This will not happen tomorrow, please rest easy.

Savage .308 Win, 1/10" twist rate. Bushnell Elite 4.5-30X50 with ballistic turrets. I reload 168 gr. Nosler custom competition HPBT bullets

Browning 7mm Remington Mag, 1/10" twist rate. Swarovski Z3 2.5-12X50 with quick elevation turret. I reload 168gr. Berger VLD HPBT bullets

Weatherby .338-378 Wby, 1/10" twist . Gun came with a Leupold 2.5-8X36 so I'm in the process of glass shopping for it right now. I plan to use 225-250 grain factory ammo to sight in then reload in the future.

Which one will be the easiest to avoid looking like the noob who shot 300 yards forever then at 600 gets his ass handed to him by the high power director and/or RSO? I'm leaning towards the 7mm.
7mag if it's good enough at 300 accuracy wise.... less drop than the 308 and less overkill in some people's eyes than the big roy. The big roy would be fine if she's accurate, but there are those that see people with factory ammo and bigger cal's like that as substituting caliber for capability. In reality, who cares what you've brought as long as you can shoot it, but there are those who assume.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

The Savage 308. If you have the dope for it. No contest. have FUN. You WILL look like a noob with the other two.

Last edited by Barrelnut; 04-30-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added comment.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Shoot either the .208. .338 or 7mm Rem. Whichever of those you shoot best is the one you want to qualify with. Just make sure you have an accurate range card and a good spotter for your first round if you cannot see the impact.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Got my basics from an uncle (about a hundred years ago) with a little more from the military and a lot more from spending time behind the sights every chance I got. No formal training - just hanging out with lots of good shooters who knew what they were talking about (no bs'rs).
Quote:
...my local membership range...
That's the place to make your inquiry. Go to the office and start asking questions. Make polite inquiries. Irritable inquires usually get you nothing.
Most ranges offering distances over 100 yards require some proof of proficiency before permitting you to shoot at longer distances. Our long range facility requires that you turn in a 100 yard target for inspection. If it's good enough you get your "long range" certificate.
The 1000 yard part of the facility is managed by a long range club which is organized within the range membership. They offer an invitational practice session once each month with strict firing line management. You need to know your rifle, your ammunition and your scope VERY well to quallify. Shoot off target too many times and you get sent home.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.