Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Any 1000yd shooters who have NOT taken a class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Bronze Member

Any 1000yd shooters who have NOT taken a class?

Does anyone shoot proficiently at 1000 yards without having taken any proper training?
Same question goes for 800 or 600 yards as well.

Reason I ask is because my local membership range has 600-1000 yard targets but only deemed qualified folks get to use them. (There is a second gate to go through and that lock code is only given to those members.)
The range rule as I understand it is that you have to be checked out and have the blessing from an expert marksman before you can have the code.

But still my confusion is how did those guys get to be good enough at those extended ranges to pass the test? I plan to ask them myself next time I see someone rolling through the golden gates. I've been a member there for three years now and have never received word of a training day or test day.

Longest I've stretched my shooting is 550 yards at a buddies deer camp. I was shooting at an empty cardboard 24pk soda box. I hit it 35 out of 50 times. So I feel good and confident with my abilities to get there.

The range does have 300 yards open to general members like myself. Would increased practice at 300 yards put me in a position to go shoot at 600 to pass a test if I study and calculate bullet drop graphs?

Great caliber, go ahead improve your Lapuas, create your Edge +P, should have just started with the Weby.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Any 1000yd shooters who have NOT taken a class?

If you know your drops and wind dope 600yds is not a big deal IF you have the basic marksmanship skills and equipment to shoot 1" groups at 100yds.

I never shot beyond 500yds before going into the service but I have a friend who was making 800-1,000yds shots long ago who was completely self taught. He had the advantage of lots of trigger time and being a naturally gifted shooter who dedicated himself to becoming the most proficient long range marksman possible.

This was back in the 70's-80's before the "Long Range Rage" and when such shots were all but unheard of.

He bought every book he could get his hands on, started reloading, and sought out well known LR shooters all over the country for help and advice.

The amount of information accessible with a few keystrokes today on the subject is utterly amazing.

If you have the talent, the equipment, and the skills you can get it done with basic marksmanship and a range card.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
Does anyone shoot proficiently at 1000 yards without having taken any proper training?
Same question goes for 800 or 600 yards as well.

Reason I ask is because my local membership range has 600-1000 yard targets but only deemed qualified folks get to use them. (There is a second gate to go through and that lock code is only given to those members.)
The range rule as I understand it is that you have to be checked out and have the blessing from an expert marksman before you can have the code.

But still my confusion is how did those guys get to be good enough at those extended ranges to pass the test? I plan to ask them myself next time I see someone rolling through the golden gates. I've been a member there for three years now and have never received word of a training day or test day.

Longest I've stretched my shooting is 550 yards at a buddies deer camp. I was shooting at an empty cardboard 24pk soda box. I hit it 35 out of 50 times. So I feel good and confident with my abilities to get there.

The range does have 300 yards open to general members like myself. Would increased practice at 300 yards put me in a position to go shoot at 600 to pass a test if I study and calculate bullet drop graphs?
With today's technology it's a lot easier to be self taught. I'd go to your buddy's range with a paper target shoot some good groups, develop a trajectory table and then talk to one of the qualifying instructors at your range. If you show him that you can shoot at 500 and have the come ups to shoot longer, maybe he will qualify you.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Most ranges have a "qualification" here too if you wanna go over 100 yards. It is basically while shooting do you exhibit safety and reasonable technic so that you are safe to shoot at further distances. it's not really about how good you are.

I am a "1000" yard shooter in competition and groundhogs and I feel I am very good at what I do. I have gotten tips from other shooters and good friends here and there about loading and theory but as far as mechanics I am pretty much on my own for how I do thins
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Absolutely!

I have always wondered about taking a class or something but I don't usually have money like that laying around (some of 'em cost a fair amount it seems). So I never have

Study, reading tips from qualified persons etc. and lets not forget practice practice practice! Classes and courses are probably useful but the self motivated individual can do just fine on his/her own IMO.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Class? What's a shooting class?

Seriously though, I am 100% self-taught when it comes to any type of shooting I do. And, not bragging, but I am what some might refer to as a "natural" or "crack-shot" when it comes to handling any types of weapons.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

growing up in Ohio its a shotgun state my idea of a rifle was a 22longrifle then I was 13 my dad got me a .22 magnum man I was shooting a high powered rifle then, then I was at the range sighting in my slug gun I was able to get 4in groups at 200yrds then I was bangin the 400yrd plate 3 out 4 shots with hornady sst 12ga. That's when it bit me I went out and bought a 3006 its turned into an obsession, nobody around me shot high powered rifles so I went into it blind and taught myself through trigger time and reading and last but not least this site has helped alot there's nothing more gratifying than hitting a 10" steel plate at 1000yrds without any help from an instructor and with a rifle you set up and your own reloads

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...