Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Anti-Long range hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2001, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Anti-Long range hunters

Did you ever notice that on many other hunting and shooting sites, you are labelled unsportsman like if you even mention long range hunting. I just saw a post on another site where a guy stated that no shots should be taken over 400 yards because it shows a lack of respect for the game.
It's funny how some people get scared off from something and even criticize it when they know nothing about it. have any of you experienced this?
Old 10-23-2001, 07:58 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Anti-Long range hunters

PrimeTime

That is the entire reason for the existence of this forum. I personally got tired of dealing with the controversy on other forums. It took so much effort and hassle on other sites to carry on even a modicum of fruitful discussion of the long range hunting topic.

So...I started LongRangeHunting.com

We have had about 1,500 posts from over 200 members so far. Membership numbers are growing at about one per day. We have members from all over the world including Australia, New Zealand, Germany and Switzerland. We have 2 bullet manufacturers, one hunting outfitter, several magazine writers and editors and just a whole bunch of really smart guys. We also have outstanding shooters who have shot in national class events. I have been privileged so far to shoot with two of them at my place near Wautoma, Wisconsin.

There has only been one post so far that was even close to violating our guidelines and a gentle comment by me took care of that thread. There were 2 new members quite a while back whose membership I immediately and quietly cancelled because I recognized them from their poor posts on other forums. That's about the extent of problems in 6 months of existence.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-23-2001, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Primetime you beat to this I was on the other site I think most of the complainers have never shot a really accurate rifle at anything farther them a couple of hundred yards. With the right rifle and knowledge we know that game can and is kill and what other people would think of as impossible ranges. But it is hard to convince people who haven't tryed it. Good hunting good shooting.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:06 AM
Bronze Member

i have to laugh most people cant even judge range properly let alone hit any thing that might be at 200 yards.so when you say you shoot 500 or 700 or 900 they imediatly think that you are full of BS. so when u show that its easily done then they have to think of a reason why you shold not do it.because they cant.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:48 AM
*WyoWhisper*

I spend time and I advertise my Guest ranch one only one other board because of the simple reason most other boards denounce or badger you about shooting any game over 200 sometimes 400 yards. Darryl Cassel is one reason I came to and remain on this board. He has helped me tremendously in a new rifle setup. I am slowly gettin to know some of the others here as well. The only other board that has very good knowledgable members that appreciate l o n g r a n g e hunting is the varmint hunters board. Len I for one appreciate your effort as well as the others who made this board happen. My hats off to you all!!!! Just a personal thanks from me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2001, 08:36 AM
Bronze Member

The thing is, people do not like that which they do not understand. I was in that boat not much more than a year ago.

On first glance, I understood why some hunters did not appreciate someone able to take a 300-500 shot on an animal. Based upon their experience (and mine to that point)taking shots that distance led to a long day or night of tracking and just seemed to be a little reckless. Since most people are not willing to put the time in necessary to take those kind of shots, they rationalize their unwillingness by saying no one else should be able to either. I felt that way until I started reading some "long rangers" post about how they went about it.

Instead of closing my mind and opening my mouth, I decided to listen and learn how these guys did what they did and how they got to where they are, long range wise. I became fascinated by the processes that lead up to one being considered a long range hunter. I then made the decision I was willing to do what it takes to ethically and confidently contemplate shots at those distances and aquire the appropriate equipment to do so.

I do not think these people single out long range hunting as their target of disdane. I think they have the same attitude in their everyday life when it comes to anything that does not fit neatly into a certain mold. They can't (won't) do it, so no one else can (should) do it either.

Personally, the more they say I should not do it, the more it makes me want to! Jim R
Old 10-24-2001, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Hello

I had a whole page written here but, somehow it never got on when I went to post it. Here is another page.

As far a a 400 yard shot, maybe thats the limit of that person with the equipment he has.

As far as respect for the game, when did we as hunters or the Game commissions of all hunting States ever apply yardage to respect of killing the game? Is this self imposed by a few who know NOTHING about what we do and how we do it? Kill is kill and Dead is Dead no matter what the range.

Do we respect the animal when we stick an arrow in it at 10 to 50 Yards?----I DO
Do we Respect the animal when we shoot it with a muzzle loader at 50 to 100 yards?--I DO
Do we respect the animal when we take our 270s and kill it at 100 to 400 yards?--I DO
Do we respect the game when we kill it at 2100 yards?----You bet, I DO. Even more.

Most hunters would not invest or should I say, be allowed to invest in the equipment we have. The equipment is VERY important and is a must to anyone getting into the sport.
Most hunters are 3 day a year hunters and really don't want to invest in the high cost equipment needed to kill at long ranges.

This is why we live in a World ( for the most part) where we have the freedom to hunt the way we choose.

It seems a shame that those hunters in our own ranks would voice their opinions (so strongly) concerning what some of us have enjoyed for so many years. This is especially true when they don't understand how it is done, what is needed to get the job done, and to top it off, they just don't have the desire to do it anyway.
Shall we say, you hunt your way and we will simply hunt ours.

I think maybe they (the doubters) should remember this old Indian saying----"Don't tell me what to do or how to do it, till you have walked in my moccasins the amount of time and miles I have."

You MUST have the equipment, the knowledge to use the equipment, the experiance to apply the knowledge you have learned in placing a bullet downrange into an animal at a distant unheard of and most imnportant, a hunting partner to spot the shots with and for you by use of the bigeye binoculars. Never attempt this sport by yourself.
You must shoot almost the entire year to gain the experiance needed for longrange hunting.

I want to thank Len for this forum and hope it is on for many years to come.
We are all learning from it everyday.

My wife and I have 4 more days till we head west to Colorado for our yearly elk hunt.
The truck and trailer are both packed except for the last minute items. We will be in our tent at 7500 feet elevation and at the same place we always go.
If we can and if the shot presents itself,we will try to beat the 2100 yard shot. We will also have 4 or 5 witnesses with us.

Later and Good hunting to all.
Darryl Cassel

PS--Good thoughts about making you want to do it even more, Jim ---That's the way I have always felt.
Thanks for the compliments Ric. Always willing to help. I'll try and see you in Harrisburg.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]