Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Antelope gun choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Antelope gun choice

A 338 with 300 Bergers works well even on the windy days. Bit if you don't have a 338 take the 6.5~284

Have a great trip!!

Jeff

Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
A 338 with 300 Bergers works well even on the windy days. Bit if you don't have a 338 take the 6.5~284

Have a great trip!!

Jeff

Ahhhh...can we spell "overkill"..???
Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
I'm sure I'm not only one who runs into this problem. But starting to plan on antelope hunt for next year. One of my tuff decisions is what gun to take? I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. My Rem .243. Ar15 in 6.5 grendal or a jap 6.5x284 that grandpa built way back in the day before that round was cool. Now I don't own a gun that won't shoot so they are all good there. Weight wise grendal is heaviest and jap is lightest. I plan on shots being 200-600 yards. One thing I have thought about it reliability. Have not had a prob with any of them but jap then AR would be hardest to fix in field. What would u choose n why?

If you have the "right scope" Id take the 243. You really dont need anymore but of course you can always use a 50 Browning at L..O..N..G...range....
Old 12-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Ahhhh...can we spell "overkill"..???
Yeah, but depends on the distances involved too. This one was to test the 300 OTM's on some meat before elk season. I have to admit I have used the .338 with 300's before too at some very long distances, the less wind drift is a great thing with goats. So far I have not had one goat complain even if hit a little far back which is very easy to do on a goat if it is not fully broadside. I have seen many goats shot by other hunters on the public ground we hunt run past dragging their intestines and sceaming "I wish he would have used a bigger rifle"

Jeff
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, but depends on the distances involved too. This one was to test the 300 OTM's on some meat before elk season. I have to admit I have used the .338 with 300's before too at some very long distances, the less wind drift is a great thing with goats. So far I have not had one goat complain even if hit a little far back which is very easy to do on a goat if it is not fully broadside. I have seen many goats shot by other hunters on the public ground we hunt run past dragging their intestines and sceaming "I wish he would have used a bigger rifle"

Jeff

I know what you are saying partner...but people that I hunt with, if they thought a 338 was NECESSARY...then they wouldnt ponder taking a 243...and the opposite applys also.

As far as gota running bye screaming and dragging their insides...etc...etc.....cmon now...I was born at night but it wasnt last night!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Jeff
+1
Yet to see two dead animals and one of them more dead, still dont know what overkill is.
Shoot the one you shoot best in the wind. It aint about what you need to kill a goat, that can be done with a 223 its about what you need to connect in windy conditions.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
+1
Yet to see two dead animals and one of them more dead, still dont know what overkill is....
OVERKILL is when, in these cases, a weapon that FAR...FAR exceeds what is needed to kill an animal, is used.

.458 Winchester on groundhogs..?? .375 H&H on prairie dogs.. rifles with as much as 4000 ft lbs of energy used on an animal of 150-200 lbs LIVE weight. THATS OVERKILL.

I havent seen 2 animals one more dead than another...but I have seen 2 of which one was blown to smitherreens!

Broz stated he was using it as a test pattern for his elk gun...and I understand that totally and cant disagree with his principal...but as an "everyday" rifle for "goats"....wheeeeee doggies!!

BTW...a 223 on goats in UNDERgunned!

Last edited by Sully2; 12-23-2011 at 12:07 PM.