Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

another wind doping question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 AM

another wind doping question

I have read the articles from this site and many others on wind doping and I think that I am getting a very basic understanding.

Is there a site that has a chart that will list the wind angles and the value that is given to the it (full value, half value, etc...). I believe this is sometimes called a wind rosette?

Is there a balistic calculator on the web where you can put your rifle information into it and it will list the deflection of the bullet for 5 mph, 10 mph, etc... at varying ranges? I have found several of these sites for the vertical ballistics but none for windage.

I understand that practice is going to be the key to this process, but without any reference to find a starting point, I am not sure that the practice will be too productive.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Bronze Member

Re: another wind doping question

Shooting with wind
http://www.odcmp.org
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Bronze Member

This is better for you

CMP - First Shot Online!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods hunter View Post
This is better for you

CMP - First Shot Online!

Thanks for the post! I had to read it pretty quickly but it looks great.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

If you plan on putting the calculator on a PDA and have an Ipod or Iphone there is a kick ass calculator for them that does address the wind angles and speed then gives the correct adjustment for it. Also there are other calculators out there that does the same
Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkstalker300 View Post
If you plan on putting the calculator on a PDA and have an Ipod or Iphone there is a kick ass calculator for them that does address the wind angles and speed then gives the correct adjustment for it. Also there are other calculators out there that does the same
I think that I am going to use a chart for now. I have several items on my wish list before an iphone or pda (chronograph, rangefinder, etc...).

Is the program that you are talking about on the website that backwoods hunter listed?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM

The way that I read the articles from the site that was listed above, all I will need to do is print a chart with the different ranges for verticle ballistics and also print the same chart for a 1 MPH wind.

Once I figure the wind angle and if it is a half value or full value, simply multiply the wind speed and, in theory, I should have the MOA to adjust the windage turret.

I am sure that there is the experience factor that will play in, but this should give me a place to start.

Thanks for the help.