Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Another Paint Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Another Paint Job

My rifle entered it's life as an 700 SPS stainless. Totally disgusted with the stock, I purchased a new wood BDL take off. However, along the way I had decided to bed the original SPS with Devcon plastic steel. To my surprise, the Devcon did adhere to the horrible plastic compound and worked our rather nicely. During the process I also filled in all of the voids in the SPS stock with dental lab acrylic(I had some clear stuff that worked nicely). This not only stiffened the stock significantly, but added some much needed weight as well.

Seeing how I still had the old SPS stock, I figured that I would try my first paint job on it. Nothing ventured nothing gained right? Here is how it turned out. I was pleasantly surprised.

The base color is Olive with tan and black speckling.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another Paint Job

Interesting, just curious as to how well the rifle shoots after you took the time to stiffen it and have it bedded? Paint looks good, but you can just barely see the speckles.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Tank, I was quite surprised how much the accuracy changed when I bedded it. My groups shrank by over 40%. It was shooting 1.5 MOA at one hundred Yards and shrank to .8 MOA after. At this point the synthetic stock shoots similar to the wooden BDL Stock that is bedded. I don't believe that I will see an increase in accuracy from here until I re-barrel it. The light Was poor for the pictures. The speckles show up a lot better in the sunlight.

To date I have made the following upgrades to this rifle

Glass Bedded
Trigger Tune
Muzzle Brake
Re-Crowned

This rifle will most likely be the base for a future build. I'm thinking that I will rebuild it into a 30-06. I like the Caliber and seems that it should be as capable as a .308 at medium to long range.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

I did basically the same bedding on a 300 WM stainless that my son had with one of those "Mattel looking stocks" and it now shoots MOA or better. I filled in all the honey comb areas around the lug area with steel epoxy and pillar bedded it as well. Your paint job looks pretty good.......Rich