Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Another new guy question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Bronze Member

Another new guy question

Hey everyone you all have given me some great advice so far and I really appreciate it. I have a rem 700 and am looking to put it on an Accuracy International AICS stock. However eventually I am going to get a new barrel as well before putting this all together how do you know what barrel contour to get. I am just curious if a stock is only able to accept one barrel shape or can any stock be made to work with any contour. Thanks Rich
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another new guy question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbecker08 View Post
Hey everyone you all have given me some great advice so far and I really appreciate it. I have a rem 700 and am looking to put it on an Accuracy International AICS stock. However eventually I am going to get a new barrel as well before putting this all together how do you know what barrel contour to get. I am just curious if a stock is only able to accept one barrel shape or can any stock be made to work with any contour. Thanks Rich

Rich

I normally recomend a barrel contour based on the use,range requirements,and caliber.

If it is used as a short range hunting rifle then almost any contour will work.

If its a magnum with lots of recoil a #5 to #8 contour is recomended.

If it is going to be a loooong range rifle then a longer barrel (30+") in a #6 or larger.

Normaly a standard sporter rifle stock can be opened up to a #5 contour without removing
to much stock and weakening it.

The #5.5s and larger barrel contours require a bigger forend like on varmint stocks or
larger.

Go with the largest barrel that your stock will allow unless you plan on replaceing it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

So any contour can fit in a stock I was worried more about the parts fitting I am shooting a 300 Win Mag and looking to do some target shooting at about 1000 yds and a 5-8 will work well....thanks for the advice
Old 12-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

The AICS chassis has a large barrel channel and will handle the majority of barrels out there.